Sign in to follow this  
Cuttter

Make sure to check any clean vehicle window B4 U apply decals!!!!

Man, I was mad today! ;D

I went to apply a back window decal 28x15 inches, I thought to my self wow that is a nice clean window.

So I put the alcohol on the window rubbed it in, wiped it clean. Used some soap and water to clean it one more time. Then used regular water, finally cleaned it dry.

I put the decal on all the way. Some parts stuck and some pulled apart and tore.

I thought this was my fault, so I went and cut another...same size. Again cleaned it the same way. This time made sure to let the window dry for 20 mins.

Put the decal on again. For sure this was going to work right? That's what I thought.... Tearing and some staying and some coming off. I called the customer and asked her if she had cleaned the window with something?

Yes, I put rainex.

LOL also Pissed off, I was. I told her I was charging her for the loss of time and loss of work 50.00, she agreed to pay it. I told her she had to pay cash and to pay before she picks up the car. Also to bring me the car in 1 week washed with a degreaser on the back window.

Who puts rainex on their back window? Duh!   

I never thought about it. I Rain-X all of my windows especially in the winter. I even do my rear view mirrors. It is amazing how much cleaner they stay. I did have a similar issue when I had a rock chip repaired. The epoxy they use did not want to adhere. The chip happened long after I had applied the Rain-X.

Wow I didn't think about that either.  I rain-x my windows as well.  I used a commercial window cleaner foam to clean before I put my decal on, and didnt' have any problems.  I will def. keep that in mind though... Good heads up.

post-2248-12986518518651_thumb.jpg

post-2248-12986518530485_thumb.jpg

Good thing to ask the customer, or to let them know(if they are putting the decal on themselves), so they don't come back to you saying the product is defective.

That didn't even cross my mind. Good idea. ;D

I finaly went ahead and used some degreaser I have from screen printing.

I used degreaser and pure dish soap to clean it.

Worked that time but I still took the 50.00  ;D

Thanks for that -- I just sent rear window decals to a customer. I just e-mailed her to let her know about this issue.

Once again this site may have just saved my ASS -- oh wait -- I can't say that unless I go to Terry's section  :thumbsup:

I too hadn't thought about Rain X.  I sometimes put it on my front windows but never really thought to apply it to my other windows.

I better put the Rain X warning on my decal application sheet I send out with every decal.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jenny

Guest Terry

We all laughed at a friend of ours for using it, thought it was a gimmick, then we went fishing one day and his wipers quit working, stop in a store, he bought it, went to a car wash and while he was putting it on we all mocked him out, pull out... And the stuff freaking worked like a charm, couldn't be leave it. :thumbsup:

(Tangent) I've tried Rain-X, but I can never seem to get rid of the haze that it leaves when applying. I would love to apply to my vehicle, but the haze makes me mental. Is there a secret to apply it properly? Has anyone tried the Rain-X wipes?

Guest Terry

I have never used any of it... But they also make Rain X wiper blades.

I don't use rain-x. I don't drive whern it is raining or even looks like rain. However, I have heard many times that Vinegar will clean anything off of glass that you can put on it. Maybe someone who uses rain-x can try this theory out?