Sign in to follow this  
busterbay

Explain this to me please

OK, this is extremely off topic. I was clicking around eBay and I decided to look up gift cards.... Can someone explain why people pay more than face value for Walmart gift cards ?

$126 for a $100 card

Example

STUPID, comes to mind. The people seem HAPPY to get them for that price. There's a bunch more on there too. I think I'm in the wrong business?

Maybe someone can explain why someone would sell a card for less than the value of the card? I can see selling for less if you would never shop or there isnt one close. But selling $100 gift card to best buy for $75? I dont understand. 

And I guess there is some kind of code of conduct for giftcard sales? If its for credit you cant charge as much? I dont know...

$100.00 VISA card, $149.00?  Something fishy goin' on?

Maybe someone can explain why someone would sell a card for less than the value of the card? I can see selling for less if you would never shop or there isnt one close. But selling $100 gift card to best buy for $75? I dont understand. 

And I guess there is some kind of code of conduct for giftcard sales? If its for credit you cant charge as much? I dont know...

Cash works places, gift cards don't.

money laundering comes to mind...  People set up many accounts to launder their illegal  money thru....

Searched online,  here is 1 answer

Drug Cartels are using gift cards and store value cards to smuggle drug money back and forth to Mexico, Columbia etc. So they don’t care how much they pay for gift cards.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=why+do+people+pay+more+than+gift+card+is+worth

• Like 1

money laundering comes to mind...  People set up many accounts to launder their illegal  money thru....

Searched online,  here is 1 answer

Drug Cartels are using gift cards and store value cards to smuggle drug money back and forth to Mexico, Columbia etc. So they don’t care how much they pay for gift cards.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=why+do+people+pay+more+than+gift+card+is+worth

Hmmm.... I will say it again Amazing.

Might also be a way for people with Ebay Bucks to convert it into something more useful.