Sign in to follow this  
JLS Design

First Multi Layer

So did my first attempt to a multi layer application.  I have some learning to do, that's for sure, but they look "ok" to me.  Not something I'm ready to start offering just yet.  I used my set of light up cornhole boards as a test canvas.  The next piece will be one of the banners I received with my start up kit.  

The John Deere one is a green on a yellow.  I was hoping to put the yellow on the green, as I think this would've been easier to apply.  

I need to figure out why I got air bubbles as well.  I'm sure there are a few things I over looked, but practice makes perfect right??

post-96118-0-94163300-1448663896_thumb.j

post-96118-0-97630800-1448663902_thumb.j

I sure hope your not selling those.... :police:  or considering selling those.

Nope these are my personal boards.  Just needed a test canvas.

Thank you so much for sharing this!  I read a few of the first pages, and will read the rest later tonight when I get home from work.  Working for a large manufacturer I'm aware of copy right laws.  My personal business model will be custom decals for cars and trucks, as at some point I hope to actually wrap vehicles.  These are all baby steps into moving to my long term goal!   

Very nice work ! I'm trying to learn multicolor myself but can figure out the registration marks in sure cuts a lot pro.

Well done though

Very nice work ! I'm trying to learn multicolor myself but can figure out the registration marks in sure cuts a lot pro. Well done though

Make your own place a "shape" (star,circle,square) then cut by color leaving the "shape" color in the cut. make sure to cut in WYSIWYG so it all lines up right

see below for sample

post-36874-0-28046900-1448849136_thumb.j

• Like 2

Nice work! Wait till you get to a 3 or 4 layer. I did a full color blackhawks head for my truck. Never again.

Thanks everyone.  I guess it's not bad for the first time trying.  My logo is multiple layers of colors, so I'll be doing more test on it. 

• Like 1

Make your own place a "shape" (star,circle,square) then cut by color leaving the "shape" color in the cut. make sure to cut in WYSIWYG so it all lines up right

see below for sample

attachicon.gifmulti.jpg

you lost me at cut in WYSIWYG. Sorry i never attempted this ever i normally just make sure my image is as close to the corner and then cut to save vinyl

you lost me at cut in WYSIWYG. Sorry i never attempted this ever i normally just make sure my image is as close to the corner and then cut to save vinyl

what you see is what you get is what it stands for, verses cutting origin

Is it easier to use clear Adhesive tape for multi layers ... I can never see through my Adhesive paper to line up the "marks".... alot of times I get close but never right on.... I thought about getting a clear tape but seems way more expensive. .

I'm sort of old school as they say it with layering vinyl. What I done is built a table enclosed with plywood and installed fluorescent lights in the box. attach a piece of Plexiglas on top. turn on the lights you can see through the adhesive tape. when I started messing with vinyl there was no clear adhesive at the time. that's why I say I do it the old school way and still do till this day.

• Like 1

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Molan_Labe" data-cid="411389" data-time="1452955847"><p>

I'm sort of old school as they say it with layering vinyl. What I done is built a table enclosed with plywood and installed fluorescent lights in the box. attach a piece of Plexiglas on top. turn on the lights you can see through the adhesive tape. when I started messing with vinyl there was no clear adhesive at the time. that's why I say I do it the old school way and still do till this day.</p></blockquote>

I did the same thing using high powered led lights and etched the inside of the lexan. I don't use it as much now that I'm printing vinyl though. It works great for a few layers but beyond that there to hard to see.

I only usually do a few layers, so a light table works great. It makes the job so much easier, and you know the graphics lined up perfect.