lunapow67

Ai Monogram issues

Hi I'm using AI CC, I'm new to graphic design.  I just want to make monograms but when the letters overlap the cutter cuts it over the letters causing it to break when I weed.  Is there a way for the cutter to know not to cut the layered letters??? Im using a Graphtec CE6000

weld them before cutting. Or whatever terms that AI uses.  You don't state which cutting software you are using,  Weld option may be there also.

The actual proper term is not weld unless they have changed that in CC. It would be "Unite" (which really means weld) you can also merge but merge will cause you issues with any unfilled areas within the design. 

Just select the ones that are needing "welded" and use the Unite option in the pathfinder menu. Should hook you up. I recommend taking a look at it in outline mode to be sure it all looks like you expect it to. That should be the top option in the view menu. You can toggle back and forth between the preview and outline look. Outline is what your cutters will cut. 

• Like 1

Actually I just tried it it didn't work :(  The image "welds or merges" but when the preview is sent to the cutter the lines are still overlapped.  Im using AI with cutting master 3

But does it cut the overlaps?   You also have AUTO WELD in Cutting Master.3  I just looked at your user Manual. in ADVANCED.

I use Flexistarter with my Graphtec,and AUTO WELD there,   The overlapped lines do not disappear in the cutting layout. BUT it does not cut them, which is the final result.  They are welded.   If you don't want to waste vinyl, try it with a pen and paper.

Actually I just tried it it didn't work :(  The image "welds or merges" but when the preview is sent to the cutter the lines are still overlapped.  Im using AI with cutting master 3

Is the file something you can upload? There is a max file size of 100kb but if yours is larger than that save it as an svg and it will be much smaller. 

Where is that?

As I stated above.."You also have AUTO WELD in Cutting Master.3  I just looked at your user Manual. in ADVANCED."

Read your user manual.   I don't use Cutting Master3  I only glanced thru your user manual and saw it there. .

Have you converted the text to outlines already? When you type text it is not cut ready until you convert it.  Use Type>Create Outlines (or the shortcut shown beside it)

Here are some pics of the progression. These are all in outline view so there is no fill color shown. I drew circles at the overlap locations. Simply select the text then press the Unite button. 

post-20133-0-89778500-1441403684_thumb.p

post-20133-0-53542200-1441403712_thumb.p

post-20133-0-97776400-1441403736_thumb.p

post-20133-0-42865600-1441403889.png

• Like 2

Have you converted the text to outlines already? When you type text it is not cut ready until you convert it.  Use Type>Create Outlines (or the shortcut shown beside it)

Here are some pics of the progression. These are all in outline view so there is no fill color shown. I drew circles at the overlap locations. Simply select the text then press the Unite button. 

OMG! I FINALLY DID IT!!!!Thanks so much the outline feature worked like a charm!!!! 

• Like 1