Sign in to follow this  
knucklehead

Computer Hardware Gurus Please

Decommissioned one of my old XP machines. Wanted to put the almost new 180g hard drive, in my running XP machine, I use for the printer. Wanted to make it a slave, have two HDs, but the wiring won't allow it. So, I'm thinking of making it into an external HD. Other than mounting it in a case, how do ya hook up an internal HD, to make it a external USB? Or, can ya? It has a lot of stuff on it, I want to keep.

If it is an older machine, you probably have an IDE hard drive. If so it was probably set as a master drive. Just Google the drive and you will see how to change the jumper to make it a slave.You might have to change the cable to a standard IDE cable on your system board or make sure you are using the middle connector for the slave drive.

To put it in a case just make sure the case supports your type of hard drive.Then just plug it in to a USB port on the computer and it will come up.

I agree with greenmachine  - but i always keep one of these handy when working on computers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-to-IDE-SATA-S-ATA-2-5-3-5-Hard-Drive-HD-HDD-Converter-Adapter-Cable-New-/331250999094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d20191f36

if getting anexternal case make sure to get the right one either ide (wide connector) or sata (small connector (data))

http://www.reclaime.com/library/how-to-tell-ide-from-sata.aspx

Thanks. That's what I'm needing is the kit, and a case. When I replaced the motherboard, the second time, I replaced the power supply too. The wires from the power, arn't long enough to reach the first, and second drive bay.

post-2309-0-65272000-1434315676_thumb.jp

Also on a technical level:

1:  SATA hard drives do not have master/slave status. That was reserved for legacy IDE drives that had jumpers.

2: USB 2.0 can not provide enough power to spin up a 3.5" desktop drive. Any external enclosure needs additional power or will have two USB plugs

3: If you purchase an external enclosure, try to purchase one with a built in fan. Many mechanical drives run hot in a very enclosed area, which takes from its lifespan markedly.