Sign in to follow this  
Mericleman

Does this make Sense?

I own a heating and plumbing company with about 20 trucks, all of which need new vinyl due to our rebranding. We're always in need of simple vinyl text for this or that. I come from an automotive back ground in which I routinely applied vinyl and I'm very tech savvy. 

Does it make sense to just purchase a cutter and do this in house? What unit, software and such would be required? The only thing we would be printing is our logos and then text. Is the learning curve for the software steep? I've attached our logo, does this look like something that could be done with relative ease? The size of our truck logo is about 60" tall.

Sorry for all of the noob questions, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Hulburt Logo_H_Master_OL (2).pdf

Seems easy enought. Probably cheaper to have someone cut it and you apply it.

• Like 1

buy a graphtec ce6000-60, good app tape, oracal 751, cutting mat, squeegees and for around $2K you will be all set to do anything you need to do now and in the future.  you can get going for as low as about $800 with a sc model cutter and the above supplies but think you will want the better servo machine doing a lot of trucks - read the reviews and comments in the help section of the forum - lots of happy graphtec owners out there.  on the learning curve you might want to download signblazer from the support section (free) and practice with the vector graphics program to get an idea of how to use it.  working with vector graphics will be different than pixel based raster pictures you have been used to.  as far as if you want to get into "printing" then you are talking closer to $20K to get going - but what you have shown can be done easily with cut graphics

• Like 3

With 20 vehicles to do you would definitely be able to at least own your equipment at the end of the day. You will have some time invested and probably a few mistakes on top of the actual materials and equipment but if you have the man-hours to invest it should work out. Having your logo built will at least stave off the immediate need to be handy with the design program. Simple text is type convert and cut so that won't be an issue for you but designing in general takes some learning. 

If you live in my area I urge you to please don't waste your money and I'll come take care of you.  :rolleyes: If you don't well, it's one of the most enjoyable and rewarding things I have found to play around with. You will absolutely love having your own cutter. I second Dakota's comment to probably go with a higher end machine like a Graphtec. It's like the difference between Harbor Freight or maybe sears tools and Snap-on. Both will get the job done but if you spend a little more you definitely reap the rewards. I started with a lower mid level machine and "Got By" for a couple years and am probably a better cutter operator because of it but the getting by part can be frustrating and often wastes vinyl. Having a nice servo motor machine I now feel spoiled but a lot if not all of the issues I used to fret over are just gone and I can turn it loose without worry. 

• Like 1

20 Trucks, I am going to take the opposite side of this.

You must be a good plumber, businessman; and stay pretty busy.  IMO your time is better spent, more profitably spent, running your business.

With 20 trucks someone should give you a pretty good deal and the cost is a normal business operating expense and therefore tax deductible.  Purchasing the equipment would be a fairly small capital (or operating expense) but quite a bit of time to work it.

Now, if you were expanding your business to do vinyl work - that would be a different issue.

Cal

• Like 3

clhyer makes a good point. However if you are like my day job (construction) you may already have an employee (or two) who are around there doing maintenance and mechanic work all day anyway and it might not be a big deal. Time is definitely money though but it's worth penciling out.  

If the business is strong enough to run 20 trucks it should have a healthy marketing/advertising budget. As mentioned above a good portion of the expense can be written off.

Give the local sign shop the business and continue layin pipe. Good luck!

on the same thought - how many of us do our own plumbing . . . 

I just keep flushing till it's gone.

• Like 1

Many good points. 

We were paying $1k a truck for vinyl and that's what go the wheels turning. I found a local guy who does it on the side and will do them for $500 using Oracal 651. I think this changes the equation drastically. I'm already in the office from 6am until 7pm 5 days a week and atleast 10 hours on the weekend, I don't think I need a second job.  :)

By the way, all of you who mentioned it... Stick to cutting vinyl and I'll stick to HVAC  and Plumbing I guess!  :)

• Like 3

first red flag is he wants to use 651 on the body panels - he should be using a cast like 751 or better to do the contoured panels.  

• Like 2

on the same thought - how many of us do our own plumbing . . . 

Raises hand

• Like 2

Do you think there should be a major price difference?

Dakota- I grew up in Sturgis , MI. Just down the road from you.

I now live in Western Wisconsin, anyone near?

Do you think there should be a major price difference?

Dakota- I grew up in Sturgis , MI. Just down the road from you.

I now live in Western Wisconsin, anyone near?

price of material will be more as it sells for double the price of 651.  

Sturgis is very close - 

As far as someone close we have several people on here from Minnesota that might be close