Sign in to follow this  
fustratedinhawaii

Static or Grounding Issues with budget priced cutters

Read a lot on this subject, but lot of Titles with "HELP PLEASE" or "WHAT'S WRONG WITH MY CUTTER?"

Kind of hard to find the right thread by going only on the title of the thread. Of course THIS thread won't help as much either if

the person searching thinks they're not having grounding issues, their machine is just cutting all whacky...

Besides cutting whacky,

1) I've read that if you have SCALP, you HAVE to register the software, this other than that

2)  you have to ground your machine (LOTS of problems if you have your machine/stand on a carpeted floor!!!)

Here's a pretty good article on that I found on the USCUTTERS Facebook page:

http://proandhobbycutters.com/static-electricity-and-your-viny-cutter-the-ghost-in-your-machine/

***EDIT: I can NOT make this link work :( !!!! Tried several ways to  type it out, but still doesn't work :( !!! too bad the copy and paste function on this forum doesn't work for me :(

Can someone help me with this issue please? and make this link work??

Other than that, the masters of this forum can add in their advice :) !!!

Hope it helps :) !!!

FH

Yeah, I had to ground my cutters. 
I was having troubles with them and was having all kinds of cutting problems.
I tried everything. Different software, different knives, different vinyl and my son sat on the phone for an hour with the manufacturer and they ended up running a seperate ground.

The instructions I used.

All I did was add the slash on the end.

http://proandhobbycutters.com/static-electricity-and-your-vinyl-cutter-the-ghost-in-your-machine/

• Like 1

I used that spray anti-static cling that women use when sewing dresses. Worked great for my P-Cut. I just hosed down the area around and behind the cutter before large jobs or if I felt the hair standing up on my arm. 

The best cure is a better cutter. The top brands (Summa, Graphtec, Roland to name a few) are set up so that there is no issue. ZERO. Kind of don't miss it either. 

• Like 1

Ok, what cutter do you have?

What software are you using?

And what exactly is it doing?

The more info, the more we can understand what could possibly be the problem.

Take deep breath and maybe we can help figure it out, but we need good info.

The more info we have, the clearer picture we can get as to what you are running into.

And be prepared to have a lot of questions asked. As a heavy equipment mechanic, I specialize in troubleshooting, but it's a bit of a process to get the full picture sometimes.

So, if you have patience, maybe we can help you sort it out.

Now, if anyone can tell me why my phone doesn't post correctly?

DIRTROCKER   Look at mine, I DID that, but STILL didn't work :(

COMPUTER GREMLINS???

Well, at least YOURS works, so THANKS FOR THAT :) !!!!!!!!!

I think the main problem is your battling static when in reality it's a communications issue. Try a Keyspan adapter and report back. Before you toss out that advice let me say unlike techs I have owned 5 different value cutters before going the Graphtec route and like so many others on here I've had to address those same gremlins.

• Like 2

Sorry guys, looks like you think I have a problem!!! lol....no I don't...YET ;) !!! I had just come upon the article and thought it would be useful as another subject heading for people looking for issues with why their cutter is acting whacky.

Jaybird, what you just quoted me on above, it's not my cutter didn't work, but I'm wondering why my LINK didn't work!!! ;D

As far as MY cutter, nope, haven't gotten one yet. I'm giving the Bridge cutter (that I started out my own thread with back to my friend. I figure I'd spend too much time on it trying to make it work with no English instructions...

I've settled on the Graphtec CE-6000-60. Now I have to do a bunch of phone calling to see who will give me the best shipping rate :(

I used a mh721 for awhile and it was actually a decent cutter. I used a multimeter to test my ground in several spots. I initially had a problem grounding the cutter to the stand. I had to scrape a little paint off of the stand where I screwed my ground wire. I also had a piece of braided wire that draped over the very end of the rollers and helped ground the rollers to the stand. I used a serial cable for communication and pressed reset after ever job. I don't think I ever had a error after that.

:angel: :angel: :angel:

I'll try it tomorrow ;D ;D ;D

***EDIT:  Ok...this is a little confusing to me. Under the title, it says off valid April 9-11, 2015

But in the bottom part, under conditions, it says "INVOICE MUST BE DATED BETWEEN APRIL 9-17, 2015"

So...WHICH IS IT? 9-11 or 9-17th??

well....will find out soon enough, won't we ;) !!!

I did the rebate several months back...Filled in the paperwork and emailed it in...A week later I had the check!!!

Used it to buy more Vinyl  :)

• Like 1