kaytrimm

Newbie cutting question

I just set up my new Laserpoint II last night and i got my blade adjusted to 1/2 the thickness of a credit card and the suggested pressure on the video to 100. After I made my first cut and tried to weed it kept pulling up my design. So i adjusted the pressure to 120 and it helped a little but it was still a pain to weed because it kept trying to pull up the design. I know it's cutting through the vinyl because there is a slight mark on the backer where the blade cut. Should I adjust my pressure more? Or could it be a problem with the vinyl? Or could it be a problem with me just not knowing what i'm doing? LOL

I've watched several videos of people weeding and it looked like it just came up so easy. 

I really don't know anything about when and why i should adjust the speed and pressure.

2 things way way too much blade - skeeter will be here in a minute with correct directions on that - and add to your overcut in the cutting software to  help this situation.   don't rely on others to tell you what is right for your cutter and blades - knowing how to set it correctly for your particular machine is far more important

disregard the setting you have seen before..  This is the correct way to set your blade depth..

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

• Like 2

disregard the setting you have seen before..  This is the correct way to set your blade depth..

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

That's exactly the way i did it. I adjusted the depth as suggested in the video and then tested it on vinyl. It cut through the vinyl and left a barely a mark on the backing. when I cut my design it cuts through the vinyl and barely leaves a mark on the backing as well. When I weeded it wanted to pull everything up though. It did cut through the vinyl but i had to keep holding the design down with a tool while i pulled up the rest.

It should be no where near 1/2 a credit card thickness of blade extended.   You should just barely be able to see or touch the blade tip.  If the blade is adjusted correctly, the blade can't go thru the backing...And too much blade exposed can lift your vinyl.  Your only cutting with the blade tip.

You may have to ad a little overcut in your cutting software...to make ends meet.

You may not have a clean design. Zoom way in on the cut lines and look for any overlaps or imperfections and edit nodes to correct.

It could also be shotty vinyl. I have had that problem with inexpensive vinyl and learned early on to buy the name brand materials.

One other thing that comes to mind is how long is it sitting around before you weed? I'm sure you're eager to see your work and weeding right away but I do know that on some vinyl the cut lines will somewhat heal back together if left unweeded for too long. I always cut and weed in the same session. If I don't have time to weed it that day I don't cut it.

It should be no where near 1/2 a credit card.  You should just barely be able to see or touch the blade tip.  If the blade is adjusted correctly, the blade can't go thru the backing...

Hmmmm.... Thanks! I'll look at it again when i get home tonight but the way you are describing it is the way i have it adjusted. i had to actually shine a flash light on it to barely even see it. When i was adjusting it and tested it on the vinyl i also tested it on a pad of paper and it only cut through the first sheet and barely scratched the 2nd one. 

You may not have a clean design. Zoom way in on the cut lines and look for any overlaps or imperfections and edit nodes to correct.

It could also be shotty vinyl. I have had that problem with inexpensive vinyl and learned early on to buy the name brand materials.

One other thing that comes to mind is how long is it sitting around before you weed? I'm sure you're eager to see your work and weeding right away but I do know that on some vinyl the cut lines will somewhat heal back together if left unweeded for too long. I always cut and weed in the same session. If I don't have time to weed it that day I don't cut it.

LOL, yeah i was excited so as soon as it was done cutting i started weeding. The design has very clean lines with no overlaps. 

I was wondering about the vinyl myself. It came with the startup package with my cutter. Greenstar, 12 - 5 yard rolls starter pack.

sign vinyl is only 3 mil,  so you only cut with the blade tip..Also try the overcut as mentioned above.

Will do!! Thank you!! I'm a pretty fast learner but this is an all new area i'm jumping into. 

Will do!! Thank you!! I'm a pretty fast learner but this is an all new area i'm jumping into. 

not like this business but I used to say that until I worked in a G.I.S. shop 10 years ago - figured I was indestrutable and could learn anything quick - that was a kick in the teeth

• Like 1

Just a thought, but it's possible that you neglected to remove the protective material that's covering the CUTTING STRIP.

The cutting strip itself is a nylon slick white surface.

(my MH cutter shipped with masking tape over that)

Just a thought, but it's possible that you neglected to remove the protective material that's covering the CUTTING STRIP.

The cutting strip itself is a nylon slick white surface.

(my MH cutter shipped with masking tape over that)

Mine didn't have that on the cutting strip.

All right, then let's take a look at the blade as it sits within the bearing.

It should be rotating freely, and removing the blade and putting in a drop or two of sewing machine oil (or 3-in-1 oil) will lubricate it.

The only other thing I can imagine is the carriage head isn't sitting true on the track.

All right, then let's take a look at the blade as it sits within the bearing.

It should be rotating freely, and removing the blade and putting in a drop or two of sewing machine oil (or 3-in-1 oil) will lubricate it.

The only other thing I can imagine is the carriage head isn't sitting true on the track.

Thanks! I will definitely check on that when i get home this evening in addition to the other suggestions.

I know i have a lot to learn and I appreciate all the help!

It's a very touchy thing to get set just right and just about the time you get it right you switch materials and you'll do it all over again. Once you get through the learning curve it becomes second nature and you can worry about other things. Patience it the key. The green star pack they sent you is not the best vinyl in the world but it cuts ok and is the cheapest stuff to learn on. I would start on lettering that is an inch tall or in that rough area. Really small stuff is tougher to cut and weed. There is a definitive learning curve to weeding too. Some things weed better a certain direction. I would definitely add a little overcut and see if that helps, probably about the same amount as your blade offset although every machine is different. Overcut should just be coming into play where the start and end of the cut meet. the rest of the line it does nothing. 

• Like 1

Definitely adjust your overcut as Wildgoose suggested. It should help tremendously just don't add too much or it can cause lifted edges and other problems.

Thanks for all the info! I finally got to work on it this weekend. From what everyone set about blade adjustment I felt like i had it adjusted right so before I made any other adjustment to it I wanted to try a different piece of vinyl because I had already been wondering if it could be the vinyl and since express2100 mentioned it as well I thought, what the heck. I weeded perfect! So I thought I would try out a 2/color design that I was wanting to do and those 2 rolls did perfect as well! YAY! Here's a pic of the finished product. (Due to the texture of the glass on the front surface it's not a good clear image)

post-91315-0-89309600-1424709192_thumb.j

• Like 5

If this is the file you were trying to cut and weed, the thin lines will be the problem. good quality vinyl will help, but files like this will always be difficult to weed, just the way it is. 

By the way, this looks great for the first try, now you are officially hooked!!

If this is the file you were trying to cut and weed, the thin lines will be the problem. good quality vinyl will help, but files like this will always be difficult to weed, just the way it is. 

By the way, this looks great for the first try, now you are officially hooked!!

Thank you! and Yes, LOL I am hooked! I think I was hooked before i even got to cut anything.

This wasn't what i was trying to cut the first time. This actually weeded really good with no problems except when i was weeding it the vinyl kind of got away from me and stuck all to itself and I ended up having to re-cut it. LOL