GraphxNMore

Question about clipping masks

Instead of having the black portion of my mask clipped to the background, I want the empty portion to have the design. Hope I explained it properly. How is this done?

You need to attach a pic. Clipping masks are sort of like a semi-permanent crop tool. Whatever is inside the shape you use is what should be showing up as long as you have them stacked properly. Works for print but not for cutting. 

You will have to make a compound path out of the inner pieces, Command>8 (or cntrl>8 on pc) after selecting the parts. The outer one would be separate and just be a simple filled object (black). So if your design is already a compound path then you will have to release it and may need to re-select all the pieces you want in the final pig face and make them a compound path leaving the outer outline as it's own object. 

When you release it all the eye holes and nose holes will end up also released. Sometime I find it easier to go put them back in place first and then make the whole group a compound path. Same process with each of those as with the whole group but the result is a hole though the object. It doesn't always work as smooth if there are other extraneous objects included in the process of knocking hole in something. 

Illustrator is not my strong-suit but can you make a clipping mask from

the full, outer shape and drop the black outline as a layer on top?

(perhaps flatten and punch out in pathfinder?)

I guess you're you looking to print this?