Sign in to follow this  
firemalt

What I did this weekend...

Well... as my avatar suggests, I race dirtbikes as a hobby. Up until last year, I was actually racing road bikes but it was a bit too expensive, too time consuming, and too painful when things don't go as planned.

In 2006, I had a nasty "get-off" at a race while going roughly 120mph. The turn I low-sided at was the worst possible to crash on this track. Not only did I crash and slide into a concrete wall that was lined with old used tires... but the bike followed me, and decided to sandwich me between the wall and the bike. I had lots of injuries -bruised lung, bruised kidney, interal bleeding, concussion, broken ribs, jacked up shoulder, and lots of pretty black, brown, blue, and purple bruises all up and down my body(infact, I had so much bruising by the time I got to the emergency room, they thought I had a broken pelvis). So long story short... I gave up my roadracing career, cause I lost my drive, and couldn't get back up to race pace after several attepmts.

This weekend, I was attending a "hare scramble" dirtbike race. The is a course layed out through property that includes forestery, creekbeds, fields, and anything else. Each course is typically 8 to 12 miles long, and the race length is either 1 or 2 hours long depending what class you register for.

On Sunday, a light cool front blew in, and produced a ton of fog and dew. As the green flag dropped for my class, I got a bad start and tried to capitalize on some late braking to pick up a position or two before entering the forest... I catch the rear tire of the rider in front of me with my front tire, and down I went. We were probably going close to 30mph, and with the dew on the grass/dirt, I just wasn't able to slow down when I noticed the rider getting too close.

End result... dislocated right shoulder. This is the first time to have a dislocation, and let me tell you... that shiot HURT! After getting 20mg's of morphine, and 2.5mg's of versed, I was relaxed enough where the doctor and 2 nurses were able to pull and pop it back into place, lol.

1st pic: Prerace photo

2nd pic: On the way to the emergency room(about 30 minutes away!)... notice the lack of shoulder?!?! It stops at my collarbone! The doctor said the bone was pushed down 4 to 6 inches, and rotated to the front by my pectorial muscle.

3rd pic: Postrace photo

post-1656-12986517577155_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986517577652_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986517577985_thumb.jpg

post-1656-12986517606799_thumb.jpg

post-1656-1298651760721_thumb.jpg

post-1656-1298651760746_thumb.jpg

Guest Terry

you wrote to much, not reading all that ;D but your to old for racing dirt bikes, the younger kids now days will walk all over ya, you need drags at your age. ;D

Guest Terry

LMAO @ Terry  ;D

Take up foot painting  ;D I raced MX... got to old, raced flat track... got to old, now drags :P

GET BETTER GOOF BALL ;D

Sorry fire, but I gotta say what's on everyones mind -- sucks to be you!!!!

With your luck with racing (and your preferred method of "getting off" I would have to suggest limiting your racing to rocking chairs!!!

One last word -- OUCH!!!! But on the other hand -- gotta love the morphine!!!

You only learn from your mistakes...

This little get-off is merely a one month set back. I'll continue to race, just like ll the other fools in the series I race in.

Our bones and joints just aren't what they used to be.....When we were young and dumb. About 16-21 years. Hope you heel alright!