Sign in to follow this  
Guest gracewriter

How do you organize your graphics?

Guest gracewriter

I've been getting a lot of graphics from different places and am wondering how you organize all of them.  I have some on a disk, and a bunch all over the place on my computer I downloaded from free of the net.

Do graphics take up a lot of room on the computer?

Since we have SignBlazer, I just organize the graphics in folders there to make referencing alot faster.  Plan on getting an external hard drive to start storing them though.  I know some people here already have an external hard drive for storing graphics.

One of my concerns is IF the computer crashes you'll lose everything possibly...and I'd hate to see that happen.

Jenny

Guest Terry

Load stuff on a 250 gig external drive. When your computer crashes with windows... YOU WILL be glad all your graphic files ONLY are on a separate drive that you can plug in to any usb on any computer and your good to go, you have graphic files that can NEVER be replaced.

Tykite, that's an excellent idea, about being able to print it out and put it in a binder for easier reference....GOOD THINKING!!!  That would make it alot easier to show your customers if they are looking for ideas or a certain graphic design!!

Oh one other thing Tykite, if you develop such a program, my husband said he'd be interested in purchasing a copy from you as he thinks that would be AWESOME to have.

Jenny

Guest Terry

I think that i'm going to write a program that will sort them out into folders, with 30 to a folder.

Then, each folder will be printed to a page in my BIG graphics book.

That way it will be easy to find it on the computer and looking through a book is easy.

Maybe put some tabs on the side, letting you know whats in that area.

Hey tykite, you should take the college course for programing, my daughter is still in high school but takes college credit courses in programing, she made a vending machine program and one for a bank. Just a thought for ya - they make a minimum of $50.00 an hour.

Guest Terry

I wish I made $50.00 an hour times 40 hours a week. ;D

I need to organize mine.

I have a folder with the shirt designs and one folder with the decal designs, all together there. The thing is that I give them very basic names, like gremlin, martini, puma, etc I never leave them with numbers or difficult names.

I'll bite on a graphic lister app, like the font lister app

- problem being with font lister - you go to print the list of fonts you have with that handy lil sample sentence & I end up with 438 pages to print, thats a dang lot of ink and paper just to print out all my fonts to insert into a binder...  step it up to about 50 images per page, they'll be slightly smaller but get alot more printed and less pages.

tykite -- put me on your list for a copy -- that would be the best $10.00 I ever spent.

Hey maybe if a couple people donate $20 instead of $10, Tykite can get this rolling!!!  ;D

Then you can market it to the graphic designers. This could be a hit.

If it works as advertised - put me in for 2 copies -- Still the best $20.00 I ever spent!!!

Guest gracewriter

I'll buy!!! and I haven't even finished reading all the posts yet and it sounds great!

Guest gracewriter

yes fonts too please!!!

Guest gracewriter

I was about to say ask $20.00 for five people but saw someone already said that.  We need to keep this post on top so others will see it.  I have a  feeling I'm not the only one as a "newbie" who could be grateful for something like this before I end up with thousands of graphics on my computer and clueless.

thousands of graphics ... clueless .... have you been peeking at me and my computer again???

Guest gracewriter

....and I just spent a ton of money on vector art's CD and guess what--you can't do a search on the cd and all the files are bloody numbered!!!  As I know file under 93 through 100 are fonts and the rest of the 200 or so files I have no clue without referencing the book.  to top it off if after all that searching they  don't have a border I'm looking for I have to search through my computer for similar graphics which by now are scattered all over the place.

So my wish list wish is....

take all the stuff in my computer and any disks and  catigorize all of it in one spot.  Wouldn't even mind if I could get it all on one disk or at least one spot under catatgories in my computer.  Either would be cool.

I will be willing to give $10 up front if that will help get you started.