Sign in to follow this  
efimage

Avery Vinyl No Likely !

There is a sign supply store about 10 minutes from my house but they only carry Avery vinyl so I thought I would give it a shot. I picked up a 15in x10 Yard roll of Avery 700 in white and 2 yards of Avery 900 in white.  I have only ever used Orcal 651 and Siser easyweed up until this point.

After adjusting the blade The Avery 700 white was a PITA to weed compared to Orcal 651 white.  I had a few decals with small lettering and details which are not easy with Oracal white but was next to Impossible with the Avery.  Larger lettering was OK.  The Avery 900 was easier but still a PITA. I might need to play around with the blade some more  with the 900 cast vinyl or switch to a 60 degree blade but I did not find the cast to be easier to weed and I was getting some corner lifting.

I really need to give Oracal 751 & 951 a try.

I am going to try some 3M next as there is a Grimco about 15 miles away. I think I am done with Avery. I just wish there was a Local supplier for Oracal

Avery 700 cuts the same as 651 for me. I don't mess with the blade normally but a few colors are a little thicker. Only thing I like in 3M is their reflective and control tac vinyl.

• Like 1

get yourself some 751- I usually do very small letters --1/4" with 751 and its great. ( with 60 degree clean cut).

I have never had any problems with Avery,  and I use a 45 degree blade... I have cut many 50 yd rolls over the years that I have picked up on Ebay as lost shipments.. just the white is not as glossy as Oracal

• Like 1

I will pick up another color of Avery next time I am over there and give it another shot. It could just be the white. Everything I have read says white is the hardest to weed. I also have a brand new 60 degree Clean Cut I have not tried yet . I put the CC 45 degree in when I first got the GX-24 and never looked back.

And what I was weeding was a pretty funky font and a detailed image. The font was about 1/4 inch in height.  I know how it weeds on the Oracal so I was using that as a base.

Do you guys keep extra blade holders and blades for different thickness vinyls?   I think Oracal 651 in 2.5 mil and Avery 700 is 3 mil.  When I ran some test cuts on the Avery 700 I had to bring the blade out a little to get the best weeding.

I only use Oracal, Avery, General Formulations, 3M sign vinyl and Avery Chrome.    I NEVER change my blade length for different vinyls..For similar vinyls,  you change the cutter force, NOT the blade length...  I have to change to a little higher force for Avery chrome.   Similar sign vinyls,  just a matter of a step up or down in force..  Blade length is always set where it is, for months and months,  maybe at 6 months, when a little duller, I give it a hair more length to get more out of the blade..  I usually change blades at about 9 months.

• Like 2

Do you guys keep extra blade holders and blades for different thickness vinyls?   I think Oracal 651 in 2.5 mil and Avery 700 is 3 mil.  When I ran some test cuts on the Avery 700 I had to bring the blade out a little to get the best weeding.

Yes, but not like what you mean...  I have two blade holders and one is set for standard vinyl, the other is set out much further for cutting thicker materials, like rhinestone template material (15 mil) and sandblast mask (18 mil).

Since 1 mil is 0.001" inches, if you can dial in the 0.0005" difference between 2.5 mil and 3 mil vinyl, then you have a much steadier hand than me...  Get your blade depth set right once and then use pressure/force settings to move between materials.

I need to play around with the force settings some more with the Avery before I give up on it  651 has been cutting so good after my Initial set up I have not really touched anything.

How about for the thinner cast vinyl’s?  Just adjust the force?

How about for the thinner cast vinyl’s?  Just adjust the force?

yes,  just adjust the force,  You should barely be seeing the blade tip...  I have posted how to set the blade correctly too many times to count..  Once it's set.correctly, leave the blade alone,,,  use the force...and the test function on your cutter.   I don't change anything from going from Oracal to Avery regular sign vinyl...

I don't change anything from going from Oracal to Avery regular sign vinyl...

Do you adjust anything for cutting HTV?

I haven't been and have had no problems to date.

Using a 60 degree CC blade on a LaserPoint I

with Sisser EW.

Sue2

Do you adjust anything for cutting HTV?

I haven't been and have had no problems to date.

Using a 60 degree CC blade on a LaserPoint I

with Sisser EW.

Sue2

I don't use HTV,,  I can't help you on that....

Only thing I change with htv is force with some of the specialty stuff namely deco sparkle.