Sign in to follow this  
TT57

Banners/ printing on

what type of printer would be used to print designs on banner material. ? Say I wanted to cut to size for small flags and print design on it.

Solvent / Eco Solvent for anything outdoor.

Cheapest new printer is Mutoh VJ628 - ~$6800, or you could buy one used.

• Like 1

We have a Mimaki CJV30-130 we print banners with. It's a solvent printer. Not sure how much it costs since the government bought it though.

• Like 1

We have a Mimaki CJV30-130 we print banners with. It's a solvent printer. Not sure how much it costs since the government bought it though.

MSRP $21,995 - Chump change... haha 

If something along the size of car flags look into sublimation. Only way to do it without selling a kidney or taking a second mortgage.

• Like 3

since Jaybird is probably more in my range, I will look into that. Where to start ? thanks everyone for suggestions.

You can get aqueous printable banner material, to print in an aqueous printer. They'll work for short term, with pigment inks. Which is what a banner is supposed to be, short term.

May be a couple bucks more. Machine is several thousand(s) less. You can get printed banners all day long for .99 cent a square foot.

• Like 1

A buck a ft. And I get 5 a ft for sending the file. I only do banners in house for long term or rush orders now

So if your buying them for a buck a square. approx 400 banners (4 x 8 ) printed yourself and you have saved over 10k

edit/spelling

Edited by mopar691

4 a ft profit over 400 4x8 banners is over 50k profit. It's all in how you look at it

I can buy solvent printed for 1 a foot with zero overhead. Therein lies the cost versus buying an aqueous printer or solvent printer. Bottom line with banner is you have to do a crap load of them to justify either type of printer

You're figuring 10 cents a foot plus a 10k printer and it takes a lot of printing to offset that part of the equation.

ya, 400 banners = 10k. Thats just on banners. And on the savings of just cost alone. Not including the profit you keep saying. 

400 banners. That is approx 20 rolls of material. less than 1600 dollars in banner material and maybe $0.16 to $1.00 in ink on each one depending on coverage. That is really not a lot of printing.

Solvent printers really are not the horror stories you think they are. Easy to run. do 15 min maintenance once a month. I bought my last new one 2 years ago. Has cost me zero after that. It has paid for itself 50 times over. When it starts to have problems I will sell or scrap it and buy new again without even thinking about it. Before this I had many upon many used ones. Nothing but other peoples problems and huge maintenance bills and so on. 

I'm not disagreeing on those points but we were talking strictly banners and I can see no reason other than a faster turnaround time to buy a printer just for banner. I order in the evening and get them delivered 48 hours later and since I don't have to pay for a printer, ink, msintenance, electric, etc for banners only buying a printer makes zero sense.

ok guys, let me show u what i wanted. You all are talking technical stuff and big money. The flag posted is banner material, cut to size, printed background,sewn to have a binding for the flag post (which sticks in the ground) -so small flag, and then decorate open space with address,name or whatever your heart desires with vinyl.

Now Printer ?? see how simple this can be. Now if this belongs to anyone you know, i am just asking a question. !!!

:)post-36131-0-08558000-1409366119_thumb.j

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="theresat" data-cid="369909" data-time="1409366162"><p>

ok guys, let me show u what i wanted. You all are talking technical stuff and big money. The flag posted is banner material, cut to size, printed background,sewn to have a binding for the flag post (which sticks in the ground) -so small flag, and then decorate open space with address,name or whatever your heart desires with vinyl.<br />

<br />

Now Printer ?? see how simple this can be. Now if this belongs to anyone you know, i am just asking a question. !!!<br />

<br />

:) <a href='http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=101296'>flag.JPG</a></p></blockquote> ballpark size?

Just 1 sided or 2? Here's what I was thinking originallyhttp://www.bestblanks.com/flags.html

one sided Jaybird. Those you tagged at bestblanks are too lightweight for the above type flag. That one is actual banner material. I got my order of them in today. I know it is unprofessional to ask how she does them but i am dying to know. Sublimation i am sure but love the process knowledge. Being a DIYer, i like to know how things are done. 

Thanks for the input. I will keep researching. :) Does USC sell sublimation equipment? Guess i will go look. They are near my town so i could go get a hands on if they sell it. 

If that's regular banner it's probably just solvent printed. You can gang a bunch of designs together and have them printed them separate them when they come in.