KYSIGN

Metal Etching with Vinyl Stencil (Bad Attempt)

WARNING: Don't Electrocute yourself.

WARNING: Do this in a well ventilated area. The process creates Hydrogen Gas which is very flammable!

WARNING: Wall of Text.

This was only a test. I made a stencil from some 651 and covered the rest of the blade with scrap vinyl creating a water tight seal. I placed the blade in a salt water solution and attached it to a DC power source. I let it sit for a couple of minutes on a low voltage to etch. Then I reversed the polarity to electroplate the etching with copper. I don't know if I applied too much voltage (I had my DC source on high during this step) but the center triangle of my stencil came off after a minute and I stopped. It looks like some copper started to coat the etching but I can't be sure. It was fun and I plan to try again after some research.

post-35520-0-69920300-1406956130_thumb.j

• Like 1

I second acid etching.  My dad acid etches all of his handmade knives that way.

Edit: I read to fast. That would be really cool if that works out, i have never seen it done.

• Like 1

we used to have a guy on here and vinylforum that electro etched - seams like he used something bluish for his solution - can't find it to save my life though - his username was thorsfoundry - did some really cool deep stuff

This was just an experiment using stuff I had on hand. I was hoping to create a fairly deep etch and then fill it back up with a different color of metal for an inlaid look. It was great fun and I may try it again after some research.

• Like 1

seams like he talked about using toilet cleaner and something else for his electro etching solution

• Like 1

seams like he talked about using toilet cleaner and something else for his electro etching solution

This sounds fun and dangerous! I'll be right ba.......

• Like 1