3pointers

Is there a vinyl for lightly textured surfaces?

I'm looking to put vinyl on lightly textured polycarbonite.  I tried some tonight that wouldn't stick, but it was sold as craft vinyl and I don't even know if it's indoor or outdoor.

Is there an outdoor vinyl that I could use?  It's a light pebbly surface.

Also, if using outdoor vinyl, how hard is it to remove it if you want to change it?

Thanks,  TJ

You only really need to post once on the forum. Most of the regulars check the "view new content" button on the upper right and all the new stuff from a given amount of time will pop up. When you post more than once then they are all there and people will think you are impatient. We also try to give a lot of latitude for new folks.

Do you happen to have a close-up picture of the surface? It would help to see it. Some things are tough to stick to. Probably going to want a performance outdoor vinyl and yes they can be fun to remove. If the product is tough enough that it won't separate when removing then with some heat you can usually get it back off but it's no fun and usually unless the substrate is real expensive I just start over. If it's more like drywall with texture then it's a toss-up if you can actually get it off or if the paper will pull off the wall. 

Tips for application might include a heat gun (used very carefully) and a tennis ball to press it into the cracks. I have a 3M felt squeegee that I think is designed for wraps or some direct contact with vinyl but I use it for application on wood and textured walls and it helps some. Any textured surface is just no fun. The high performance vinyls will usually adhere better and then can be heated and pressed farther back in to the surface without later shrinking back out so choosing the vinyl is a decision that needs to take in all the parameters and what the final resulting target is. 

I apologize for the two posts.  I tried to delete the other one and couldn't see a way to do so.

Here's a close up of what I would like to adhere vinyl to.

Thank you,

TJ

post-87567-0-15744200-1405919902_thumb.j

Yikes! Ya that's pretty rough. That makes wall texture look tame. Not saying it can't be done but I would probably use some Diabond and mount on top of it with a whole new sign. 

Oh, well, there's go my new product idea, lol.  It's plastic and not something you'd put a sign on, but thanks for the help.

TJ

isn't that the stuff they put on bathroom walls so it is easy to clean and nothing sticks to it?

Well it never hurts to try it. You are going to want to get your hands on some high end vinyl. Oracal 751 at the very least. I would go 951 for that if it were me. 

i bet ControlTac would stick to that, just heat it up and press into groves.

It would be a pain but I think it might work.

I'll give the higher end ones a try.  This would be something I would sell on Etsy which the customer would apply, so it has to be easy to use for them and not something they'd have to use a heat tool to apply, and not too expensive either.