Mercer57

Tried a hat today

Picked up a cheap hat a wallyworld and tried a simple winged wheel design on it.

is that VHT Vinyl heat transfer?

So far it seems to be adhered to the surface well, no loose ends the graphic was just a tad large for the press so I had to re-press one end.

• Like 1

Its called 

Transvinyl Flexx I got it off ebay, I didn't want to spend big bucks on the siser to learn on. I messed up the first try by cutting the wrong side. This stuff weeds really well and seems to work well and looks ok.I am new to all this but have lots of experience designing scroll saw patterns as well as cutting them cutting vinyl is basically them same except scroll sawing you have to make the cuts in wood and don't have a plotter to cut it for you.Thanks for the complement. 

Youre doing a 6panel hat...the 5 panels are much much better for htv. I was in a hurry when I got my hat press and I bought like 30 hats off the bat and all were 6 panel. Now I switched to the 5 panels and dont know what to do with all the 6 panels I bought lol.

My 6panel one..wish I could find a black flamed 5 panel one like this.

20140215_162756_zps088747e5.jpg

a customers 5 panel I did.

20140511_150402_zpsux2rzumt.jpg

Thanks for the info.,I had no clue as to what it was other than a hat, and cost $3.50 and I wanted to try and press one LOL!

Mercer it happens to use all I got 6 panels and 5 panels you almost have too have both kind. Its hard to press on a 6 panel but as long as you hit it twoce witht he heat and decent pressure it should be fine.

GC you can always post the hats here on the for sale section.

I sell more than 6 panels although I prefer working with 5 panels. Customer gets what the customer wants.

Jay, one weekend I might have to climb on my bike and cruse on down to the lower part of the state and visit. bring some local legal shine have a swallow and chat. 

Give it a couple months and if all goes to plan you can help me move into my new location. :) looks like I'll be going from around 1000 sf to 6000 sf

• Like 1

Give it a couple months and if all goes to plan you can help me move into my new location. :) looks like I'll be going from around 1000 sf to 6000 sf

Let me know when. I'm not that far away anymore :)

I've been in this building accumulating crap since '08. The move is going to be a mess and I'm the guy who closes on Friday at 1 location and reopens Monday at the new location.

5 panel are def easier to press on but a lot of (most) my customers don't like the profile so I do mostly 6 panel. The seam is a bit of a pain but rarely causes that much problem. I order a few extra with every order if it is a different hat style so I can show other customers a hands on hat rather than a picture. I have a stockpile of about 10 different styles now and it comes in handy. I know guys like Jay that have an actual store stock them and I think hats are one of those things that people are real particular about the fit and feel. 

Mercer if you are getting into it I would suggest some heat tape. A little goes a long way and you can re-use it for many many press cycles. Makes a huge difference with keeping things lined up, especially layered jobs.

http://www.uscutter.com/Green-Heat-Resistant-Tape-for-Heat-Transfer-3-8-width

I agree with goose about the heat tape. I use it on every hat I do.

work uh? I might just have a son or two that love to work LOL..........I might can bring help.