fourthsyde

Where do you get your business cards?

Im looking at vistaprint.com right now and Im pretty impressed with their pricing.

$40 gets me:

1000 business cards using designs that i uploaded

50 magnet cards

express (7 day) shipping to canada

Seems like a good deal considering the local places want $80 for 250 cards...

I just wanted to see if you guys had any opinions or suggestions as to where I should be looking?

We got our first set of business cards there, the quality was good.........just make sure they are NOT going to have their name on the back of the card, as when ours arrived it was there.  I believe that was because we took advantage of some promotion they were running....I didn't like the idea of basically free advertising from them when I paid for the cards.

But than again if it doesn't bother  you it's no biggie.  B)

Jenny

looks like they only do that with the "free" ones... it says it right in the description...

i made sure of that one, since i seem to be paying half as much for 10x the product...

I've been designing cards, letterhead, envelopes, etc, etc and I've been using gotprint.com for the last 6 or 7 years. Great service, good turn around time and good pricing.

seems like their prices are about the same as vistaprint... thanks for showing me that

My little rant:

Try to buy local if you can swing it.  I know it seems like A LOT more, but if you can get in good with a local print shop - the quality and service will be very worth it in the long run.   

I know I ALWAYS refer print customers to the local sign shop, and he brings me new customers all the time.  And your local economy will be stronger for it as well.

Think about it: Would you rather have your neighbor 2 doors down come to you for vinyl, or get it off the internet because it is a little bit cheaper?  What goes around comes around.

/rant off.

I got 250 cards that I designed from vista print with glossy finish, they were excellent quality, with their promotion and shipping it was about $20 bucks. I also took advantage of their offer for free stamps (got a 'paid' stamp) and free screen printed tshirt with my business logo. I got a free tshirt and bought one for my wife, all that with shipping was about $16. So far I think vista print is a great company, they have a lot to offer, and great prices! I recommend them!

I watched the sunday ads to see when office max or office depot had some kind of discount coupon on printing services.

ugh... I dont support OfficeMax unless there is no way I can have something done anywhere else, they are soooooooo expensive and most of their workers in the print area dont know a thing about printing software or terminology.

I got 1000 single color cards from office depot for roughly $20.00 with tax & shipped. They have several formats, styles, and qualities to choose from.

The only reason why I didn't go with something local, was because if time, and I was stuck at work with nothing to do but play on the computer.  B)

Around here,the local print shops treat you like they don't want to be bothered on small orders like that. I buy my business cards from a guy who operates a printing service with his wife. He sells on ebay. He is just trying to make a living,just like me. The last lot I bought,he did 3 proofs without me asking,just to make sure I got what I wanted.All for under $20. I can't get service like that around here.

I ran into the same thing as bannerjohn so i started designing my own, then people saw mine in full color on both sides. they were impressed as I was as to how cheap the price is. I tried the regular print shops but they didn't seem to want my small orders and they quoted very high prices. Traditional printers are going to go just like record shops.

That is a shame that your local printer is not giving you the time of day.  That is the reason that online print has expanded. Local printers treating customers like crap.  B)

I guess in my area, service and quality is really valued - and I am grateful for that.

As far as "traditional" print shops going the way of the DoDo... It really depends on how you run your business.  We have continually expanded, and now have 5 Offset Presses, and digital capabilities as well.  Our client base is mostly 25+ year customers, but we treat everyone like gold - even if you only want 20 business cards. 

It also really helps that getting finished printwork up here would cost more than having it printed locally - due to the weight and shipping costs. 

One thing to remember...a lot of those online printers are just like me...small businesses who had to turn to the internet because the big boys are running us into the ground. 'Fast Signs', Office depot,fed_ex...all do banners now and have just about killed my local business. So I sell on ebay and Craigs List.

I know of one guy who closed his hardware store down,started selling his stuff on ebay,and is making more now than when he had a brick-and-morter store. People whould rive right by his store on the way to Home Depot or Walmart.

The BIG BOX stores are killing America.

kind of off topic but I am just curious...how many among those on here are old enough to remember this:

you needed a pair of shoes. You went to the shoe store. Someone would sit you down,measure your foot..size and width, and fit you with the right size. Then you would try them on,walk around a bit,and decide if they felt OK. They always did.

Try that at walmart or the mall.

I haven't had a proper fitting pair of shoes in 20 years. I have extra wide feet.

Absolutely Big Box Stores have killed MOm & Pop businesses.  

It is really hard to explain to someone why my prices are $5 higher than the UPS store down the street.  Corporations can absorb losses much easier than us small guys can, but people don't want to hear that. They only want cheap cheap cheap.  

Well you know what?  My customers appreciate it when I patronize their business and tell everyone I know to shop at their small business to support the local economy.  I can't always do that, but I sure try.

Ebay and Craigslist are a different animal than say - Vistaprint.  Usually you are supporting a small seller and not a multi-million doller company.

edit to Bannerjohn:  I remember that!  I'm only 33... is that old? lol.  I remember a shoe chain called Kenney's or something like that. Reminds me of the shoe salesman on Married with Children"

when I was a boy,my favorite place to be was the local shoe repair shop. All of those huge (to me) machines that did such neat things..and the smell...ah I can still smell it after 40 years. I honesly think that is what got me started on my love of machinery.

If there was still a living in it,I'd probably be repairing shoes instead of making signs.

I remember stores like Kenneys, I had almost forgotten, thanks for reminding me.  Even larger stores like Sears & JCPenneys use to have salespeople that would measure you for new shoes, now you are lucky to find anyone there to look in the back room for your size.  Customer service is going WAY down!!

Jenny

kind of off topic but I am just curious...how many among those on here are old enough to remember this:

you needed a pair of shoes. You went to the shoe store. Someone would sit you down,measure your foot..size and width, and fit you with the right size. Then you would try them on,walk around a bit,and decide if they felt OK. They always did.

I haven't had a proper fitting pair of shoes in 20 years. I have extra wide feet.

thats why im glad to live in a small town... you still get a lot of service like that...

thats why im glad to live in a small town... you still get a lot of service like that...

Beware the coming of Walmart...They will find you...they will absorb you... now showing in cheap theaters near you.