Cal

Computer guru needed

Good morning, and happy 4th!

I have an older Toshiba laptop that I have been planning to take on my upcoming cruise.  It has Windows Vista operating system.  The battery was shot so I purchased a new one.  When I have it plugged in and using it, the battery icon says it has 0% available and is charging.  But it has been two days and hasn't charged a bit.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, my trip begins in two days and I would like to have this available...

Cal

It could be the battery or the power adapter. When you first boot the computer enter the bios and look for the battery. You should see the battery condition and charger type listed. If the charger is unknown it will not charge on most laptops.

You should also try removing the battery and checking the contacts on the laptop. Then reinsert the battery and test.

The charging port itself could be bad. They are WELL KNOWN for that. Cheap and easy fix if you are handy.

Thanks guys.  I pulled the battery - it "looks" ok and have reinstalled.

KYSign, don't know how to enter the bios to check this.

Cal

Have you tried plugging it into the wall and pulling/replacing the battery while it is plugged in on power?

Also you may want to visit the Toshiba site and see if there are any updates available for it (bios etc)

Can you use it when it's plugged in? If so that rules out the power adapter and charging port. Then that leaves the battery or the circuit between the charging port and the battery.

You can email me at smithmobile@yahoo.com I'll help ya out

Thanks again folks.  I have gone through the troubleshooting sequence and it indicates a bad battery.  I have the old one in the freezer to see if it might revive it some.

Ash, I have sent you an email,

Cal

Edit: well, my email to Ash bounced back for a bad address...