Sign in to follow this  
cinnamon457

Picture Transfers

Gm! I have been getting requests to put a picture on a tshirt using transfers...What is the best way to do so? Is there a good inexpensive printer that will print professional quality transfers that I can heat press on a shirt??

actually JPSS and 3G opaque is good  transfer paper it last pretty good. now for your question any Epson printer is good for pigment ink. I started with an Epson c88+ and now use an Epson WF7010. Not real expensive. It also makes a difference if you want to go refill cartridges or a CIS set up.

I use an Epson WF30 which I bought through Cobra Ink Systems (CIS) and have had good success with it. I would go with the larger format if I did it over again. The WF30 only does letter sized and sometimes it would be nice to go bigger. Pigment ink is a must for the transfers to stay looking good. I think Cobra still sells some models of printers but you may find one cheaper and then look into the cartridges from them. I think there are other brands out there too but Cobra has the best name and service. I use my printer for all my business (and home) printing too and it has paid off just from the savings of switching to bulk inks. 

so...jpss and 3g opaque is way better than walwart right..lol...I have an epson WF 7010 that I use for sublimation...so I should get another one for transfers??  and where do i get jpss and g opaque paper...and do i just print and heat press right??

JPSS is the bomb for white shirts. Way good. I buy mine from various vendors including cobra but my best prices usually come from amazon believe it or not. The 3G is pretty good too. I actually prefer IYA brand Jetwear dark which is supposed to be the old Iron-All because it is a bit softer than the other stuff but a lot of people love the 3G too. (I have tried about all the dark versions and I don't really like any of them to tell the truth). Here is a link to where I buy the IYA brand:  http://www.tshirtsupplies.com/jetwear-iya-dark-sample-pack

I'm pretty certain that you have to use a different printer for the pigments. 

All these more profession papers are better than anything at Walmart (Avery brand), remember Avery t-shirt transfers are compatible with HP which is not pigment ink. You have to buy a different printer for the Pigment ink you can not mix the inks they will clog the printer in time. I would recommend any workforce by Epson. I also recommend the dual tray. That way you can have for lights and darks always ready, 

• Like 1

I agree with Madhatter. one of the WF models is the way to go. Although unless you do a bunch of these I don't leave mine setting out in the tray. They recommend keeping them closed in as airtight as possible. 

You can get good deals on Epson printers through their outlet store on ebay - http://www.ebay.com/sch/Printers-Scanners-Supplies-/171961/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=epson_outlet&_sop=15

I have purchased a WorkForce Pro 7520 and a WorkForce Pro 3540 (Mother's Day gift) both through them - they were practically brand new, no marks on them.  They come with a 14 days no questions asked money back return policy and a full 1 year Epson warranty.  I purchased my WorkForce Pro 4020 directly from Cobra Ink, but it would have been a lot cheaper to buy one from the Epson Outlet ($79.00 w/ free S&H) plus a set of full, refillable pigment cartridges from Cobra ($114.99 + S&H).

Make sure you get one that works with refillable pigment ink cartridges from some place like Cobra Ink before you buy.  If you can afford it, get one that prints Tabloid (11x17") or Super B (13x19"),  you'll definitely want the bigger size and it's really not that much more.

• Like 1

I've been reading up on this and decided to purchase a WF7510. So far everything I've been asked to do was on black or dark shirts.

A couple questions if you don't mind. 

I'm planning to buy Jetwear Dark Premium 3G in roll form. Is 13 as wide as I can stuff in the printer? 

I'm also ordering Cobra pigment inks. Is there a printable HTV out there in roll form that will fit the printer?

Thanks

All printable htv I've seen requires a $solvent$ printer.

• Like 1

Yes, 13" is the max width for the 7510 and 19" is the max length - the 7510 and 7520 don't have a "rear feed slot" - all material loads through the paper tray(s) which accept a max of 13"x19" material.

The description says it will print up to 13" x 44", but I've not figured out how to do that - not that I've really tried - I assume you leave the top off the paper tray and let it hang out the front?   13"x19" paper is expensive enough, and I haven't had a need to print any bigger...

Give Richard my name and let him know you are a forum member and he will give you 10% off.  Good Luck

Give Richard my name and let him know you are a forum member and he will give you 10% off.  Good Luck

Drats........ ordered the ink right after I posted.

All printable htv I've seen requires a $solvent$ printer.

I found a product. Specialty Materials, makers of Thermo-Flex makes a product called ColorJet Media Multi-Ink Dark.

I have samples on the way.

• Like 1

I found a product. Specialty Materials, makers of Thermo-Flex makes a product called ColorJet Media Multi-Ink Dark.

I have samples on the way.

Please post how it works out. Curiosity has the best of me now.

Please post how it works out. Curiosity has the best of me now.

Roger that.

They have on for lights also. I will test them both and report back.