Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

App tape roller for <$10

I needed to make an app tape holder that could be temporarily mounted to a folding table.  A quick stop at the hardware store, less than $10 in supplies, a scrap 2x4, two clamps, and 20 minutes in the garage and I have this (worked like a charm):

post-34212-0-26355700-1400727743_thumb.j

• Like 4

huh... Wish I would of did that before spending the $50 on an app roller, lol. Good Job.

Is that coupler going to cause issues at all? Seems like it might cause your roll to run funny. 

Is that coupler going to cause issues at all? Seems like it might cause your roll to run funny. 

Didn't yesterday when I was using it.  I thought about that but since the roll is so much bigger than the PVC it didn't.  I woudl have bougth a straight length of pipe and did without the coupler but I couldn't fit the full size in my car and didn't want to spend th extra money on tubing I most likely wouldn't use.

If I start using it more often I might do something a little better but for the time and money it worked.

• Like 1

Didn't yesterday when I was using it.  I thought about that but since the roll is so much bigger than the PVC it didn't.  I woudl have bougth a straight length of pipe and did without the coupler but I couldn't fit the full size in my car and didn't want to spend th extra money on tubing I most likely wouldn't use.

If I start using it more often I might do something a little better but for the time and money it worked.

You could always use a piece of EMT Conduit or grounding rod for something a little stronger 

I made used the left over bracket and rollers from the LP stand I bought for the basket. Great deal for $13.00, basket and an extra roller for one of my other tables.

You could always use a piece of EMT Conduit or grounding rod for something a little stronger 

So far it's plenty strong enough.  Might be a different story if I put a shorter roll on it as the 30" roll I was using left very little room to sag.

My next project will have to be a media basket.  I've seen homemade units posted on this forums so I don't have to figure it out on my own.

I used to do my masking similar to what you're doing but then I sprung for a Big Squeege cut vinyl tool and wow what a difference. They are $100 so it's an investment that you might not be interested in making right now but for long stuff I wouldn't do it any other way now. There isn't anything all that sacred about the design and a guy could build a similar product for cheap. Had I had one in hand to see how it's built I would have considered building my own. I just use the straight side and push the roll across the vinyl rather than the roll holder option and rarely have a wrinkle. 

wildgoose - I thought about buying one of those big squeegees but now is not the right time.  If I start doing more jobs I will invest in one.  I did have some wrinkles but nothing that should cause me problems.

If you can find someone close to you who has one to look at it's not that complicated. I have seen ones just cut out of pvc pipe without the straight piece that supposedly worked similar by just flipping them over and pushing. The felt is nothing too radical either. i am thinking about building something a little smaller for 12-14" and under out of a wide drywall mud trowel or something. if I do it and it works I'll post it up. I totally hear you on the expense. There is a little learning curve too. Took a few times to get it right and then no problems. 

I have a similar setup and do like it for some applications, but on more occassions than i would like to say... the static of the tape (or vinyl) would pull the vinyl up off of my work surface and stick it to the tape.... causing a profanity laden tantrum.  And, often, a re-cut.

Instead of buying a BS.....

I took a 3.5" piece of trim board that has the tapered end on it.  I put felt on the tapered end and use that to push my roll of tape across my surface.  Takes a few tries to get the process just right.  If you have a cutting matt with the cross lines (whatever they are called) you can roll out 3" of tape on your matt first to make sure that you are going in a straight line (VERY important for 6' + cuts) and then tuck your work under it an inch or so to hold it still.  Then, just push.  Easy.  Less than $5 investment and works great.

• Like 1

Trim board is a good idea ShowAndGo. The line-up-before-you-push is something you have to do with the BS too so I think about any method is going to be similar. I totally hear you on the static cling, that's exactly what got me upset enough to go ahead and spring for the BS. LOL

I have the 24 inch BS. The moment I opened the package and held it in my hands I wanted to kicked myself. It's a great tool but I could make it for a few dollars. I have a Weber single spool tape system that I bought new and it does a great job but it was expensive. I could easily make it for $25 or so. It's useful because it has an adjustable clutch so you can control the tension of the tape.