Sign in to follow this  
smendlik

New (to me) & a happy accident

I met up with Scott (Dakatagrafx) as I bought his CE5000-60 from him.  I kinda felt obligated as I was the one who notified him of the CE6000 for sale near him.  I'm amazed at how quiet this thing is and can't wait to figure it out.

I thought I would make a quick cut using SCALP until I figure out Cutmaster or Graphtec Studio ( I still need to learn what each does and what I'll be using).

I loaded up a file that I have cut before with my SC cutter and it's 6" wide, for some reason it cut 1/2 size.  What amazed me though is that it cut perfectly.  With the SC the smallest I could go was 6" as any smaller the stars wouldn't cut very well.  Maybe I just didn't have the SC tweaked properly, maybe I was at it's limitation.  Bottom line is, look how small the Graphtec cut.  Did I mention how quiet this cutter is?

Anybody near Cleveland want to by an SC cutter?

Steve

post-34212-0-28802400-1400381108_thumb.j

• Like 3

it's one of those things you have to experience to appreciate.  It is no secret I am no fan of scalp - heck even try signblazer as it has drivers for it.  wish I could add more on scalp cutting 1/2 size but I avoid it like the plague so no real help.   
Was great meeting you today and enjoyed the chat

• Like 2

Maybe I just didn't have the SC tweaked properly, maybe I was at it's limitation.  Bottom line is, look how small the Graphtec cut.  Did I mention how quiet this cutter is?

It's my understanding that if you have the patience you can tweak most of the cheaper cutters to do an admirable job - but you need to re-tweak it every time  you change materials.

The great advantage to a higher end cutter is that you don't have to tweak it.  I took my new Graphtec out of the box, set it up according to the recommendations in the instructions and it cut perfectly.  I did play around with pressure and speed to see if it had an effect (it does) but nothing that really improved over the default settings.

When I got into rhinestones I bought a new blade holder and got the blade depth dialed in for cutting rhinestone template material and now I swap blade holder when going back and forth between template material and vinyl, and adjust pressure and I'm set.  It takes <60 seconds for me to change parameters when changing materials and I know it's good to go.

• Like 3

it is quite amazing. I finally got time to spend with the Graphtec last night and got it all working.  It's a little different as now the workspace vs how it cuts is 90 degrees off so there is a slight learning curve but man that thing cuts nice.  I'm doing my mechanics storefront this weekend so I cut that all out last night.  It was faster, quieter, and I didn't fear straight tracking over the length of the long job.

Overall, I AM HAPPY! 

• Like 1

I have been able to do some really tiny lettering (under 1/2") and other small stuff on heat transfer and oracal with my SC from the start. Maybe I was just lucky and got a good one. Blade height adjust seems to be the key. With or without a mat it seems to do a great job. Now, as far as being quiet... that's another matter.

I have been able to do some really tiny lettering (under 1/2") and other small stuff on heat transfer and oracal with my SC from the start. Maybe I was just lucky and got a good one. Blade height adjust seems to be the key. With or without a mat it seems to do a great job. Now, as far as being quiet... that's another matter.

try to match this one . . . letters are about the same size as on the dime

post-2742-0-35407400-1402415266_thumb.jp

try to match this one . . . letters are about the same size as on the dime

OK Not a perfect match but you used a easy font  ... ;D

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2144.jpg

• Like 1

I know your graphtec could do it Bill - I want to see that sc match it though!

heck even those stars that smendlik posted are a hair over 1/16" - that is getting right down there

heck even those stars that smendlik posted are a hair over 1/16" - that is getting right down there

Yes I agree Just having fun as I am sure you know

• Like 1

I even deleted sure sucks a lot off my computer. I have signblazer and flexi starter so I sent scalp to the happy cutting grounds

• Like 2

I even deleted sure sucks a lot off my computer. I have signblazer and flexi starter so I sent scalp to the happy cutting grounds

lowered your stress level a lot didn't it

lowered your stress level a lot didn't it

I never liked it and did not really use it even with updates it would freeze up mostly with vectorizing.