Sign in to follow this  
ddprinting

631 is junk and greenstar app tape is awesome......thoughts on either

So for the last 4 years I have exclusively used 651 and 951 but recently had some lettering to do for a insurance office on the inside and ordered some 631, I had nothing but problems with it and ended up using 651.  I couldn't do anything to make it stick to the walls.  I know it was maybe just a bad first experience with it but maybe I did something wrong with it.....just looking for input on it.  Also I have been using RTape until just recently I ordered some greenstar layflat tape and I love it.  Its cheaper that RTape and from what I have used it for I don't have any problems with it.  What do you use for app tape and whats so good or bad about it??? 

631 is def tricky and if you have texture (90% of the time) it's even tougher. Being able to get it off means that it isn't as aggressive. I use 651 for a lot of semi-permanent work and 751 for vehicles and higher end signboards like diabond. Have yet to feel the need for the 951.

The house brand (GS) app tape performs well. The only complaint I have ever had is that the edges are wrinkly for some reason. Someone on the forum here gave a tip long ago about rolling the app tape out sticky side up and then applying the graphics to it rather than laying the graphic vinyl side up and applying app tape. Real good tip BTW. Well with the Green Star you have to be more careful because something in the trimming process leaves about an 1/8in little crease along the outside edges which occasionally cause issues. Other than that one thing it works great and as long as you are prepared for it to do that then it's not much of a factor. I buy more expensive stuff for full width 24" rolls but always keep a 12" roll of GS around for everyday smaller graphics. The clear stuff from GS is lousy. It will rip when removing which will in turn rip your vinyl. It might not be bad on smaller stuff but I have a 24" roll and hate it. I have been trying to use it up but I won't sell it to customers because they all came back complaining about it so I switched to Clear Choice for my clear preferred. 

I don't usually have any issues with 631 if I use Oracal's HT55 transfer tape (it's made for 631).  Could also be that the painted wall yours was going on was

stain-resistant paint.  When textured, I use a tennis ball (an awesome tip I got from this forum) to work the vinyl in.

I've used greenstar app tape since I started doing vinyl. I like it. It leaves a bit of adhesive residue behind sometimes though. It's too aggressive for 631.

HT55 works well with 631. 

As Goose said, the clear greenstar sux. I'll use it for layering if I have to but prefer to layer in place if possible.

I guess I should read up on some older posts. I had to learn to lay the app tape upside down on the table and apply the vinyl to it on my own

Gotta plus one on most of the above...

Been using the GS paper tape for a while and other than the wrinkled edges

(often, you go up a size to avoid problems) has worked very well.

I've done comparison installs using 631 and different application tapes. I used paper R-Tape, two different clear R-Tapes, clear GreenStar, & Oracal HT-55. The HT-55 wins hands down. You just have to use the right tools for the job. Certain stain resistant paints or too roughly textured walls are not going to work either.

I was using the R Tape HT-55 with the 631 and the walls had a very minimal texture and I used a tennis ball on everything, maybe was a stain resistant but client insisted wasn't, customers always right haha, ya right!!!   I haven't tried the GS clear but so far love the GS paper and don't plan on using anything else for general 651, 751 or 951.  Thanks for the input on the GS clear, I will plan to stay away from that, I have R tape clear and it works ok for me.  I might have 3 rolls of 631, king blue, red and white, 15" x 10yd rolls all with maybe 2-3 yds used max for sale if somebody would need them. 

HT-55 is Oracal brand, not R-Tape. Have you applied 631 to your own wall to test it out?