Sign in to follow this  
sluggo2u

CE vs FC

I'm about ready to buy my next cutter. 

I've decided it will be a Graphtec. 

I have the resources to buy the 24 inch FC-8600 but wonder if I really need to outlay the extra cash for it.

Is there any reason other that cutting high intensity reflective that I would benefit from purchasing the FC over a CE?

If I buy the CE, I can use the money saved to but a better quality heat press. 

Your thoughts would be appreciated. 

FC is tougher and has a few more bells and whistles but there is no reason you can't get by with a CE especially if it will help finance a better press.

FC is tougher and has a few more bells and whistles but there is no reason you can't get by with a CE especially if it will help finance a better press.

Ditto. 

As an owner of a FC , and son with a CE,  the CE will do all that you need.    I choose FC, because I wanted the 30" cutter...Which I use that size quite often.  

• Like 2

To clarify, I do NOT own either so my comment comes from a lot of research that I did about a year ago. The FC is real nice and definitely a step up but in a bang for the buck probably not worth it unless you have the need (or in my case the desire for a top machine) I actually went with a Summa which in the 30" machine was about $1000 less than the FC but met or beat every option the FC had except for the down force. So comparing to a CE I went way over the top but comparing to the FC I was frugal. (That's what I told my wife anyway)

I am not trying to sell you on a Summa however.  

The FC price has gone up quite a bit, since I purchased mine new 2008,  for $3000 shipped....for 30"   That FC8000 was over $1000 higher when introduced.for the same size.   

Hm, Ya the one I was looking at was a returned model, still new though and had a 60* extra blade holder and stand with the extra pinch roller (which actually may have caused it to be a problem for real small stuff (not sure about that). They had a "deal at $4,200 here locally. I think it was regularly $4,500. I got into my Summa for about $3,200 with the stand and extra blade holder (no extra pinch roller as Summa doesn't recommend it.) I was really looking for tracking because that was what my biggest beef was with the budget cutter and the tracking on this thing is literally insane.  As for the thicker stuff, the two times I have encountered something I couldn't get through with 400g of force I just made a double pass. A little tricky to figure out what pressure to make two passes with because the test cut only does one so had to guess a bit but it's so accurate that you can't tell it went over it again. 

I bought from here.. http://www.gregory1.com      And it turned out they had a warehouse in Indy, and I got it the next day.  I was shocked.   I saw it advertised on EBAY, and they gave me the EBAY price....plus they shipped it FREE.    I didn't know anything about UScutter back then.    

I would be surprised if network is a problem but you'd want to check. They offer lifetime live support regardless of being first purchaser which is pretty amazing.

I did just think of something else the FC has that is pretty cool. Skeeter probably can tell it better but I think you can run a second blade or the blade offsets and can actually chop off your vinyl in a side notch that is pretty unique. Summa will cut clear through and has a feature that will contour around a graphic and cut part way through (They call it flex-cut)and all the way through alternatively so you can pop out the decals (for printed work) but using this it cuts into the strip and causes you to have to replace it a lot where I think the FC will just do that over off the cutting strip.

You can run an FC front or backwards also  for room...   Meaning the rollers and vinyl can be put on the front of the machine, 

FC has a cross cutting feature, with a second blade, that runs down a groove the width of the cutter.  

• Like 1