Sign in to follow this  
MadHatterGraphix

Thinking of changing cell phone carriers

So back in early October of last year my parents decided I needed a cell phone due to being their caregiver they need a way to get a hold of me when I'm in my bedroom. Best buy was running a deal with AT&T get the new IPhone 4C for $50 with a new 2 year contract. Well I like AT&T but I hate the idea I'm locked into using this phone for 2 yrs. Now T-Mobile is running a deal they will pay the early termination fee and give you a Galaxy S5 I believe for $0 down, However I don't know if that's with a contract or not. After seeing this commercial I started to wonder if I should switch. I use to be with T-Mobile and they screwed me with their insurance and I told them to cancel me after my 2 yr contract was up and the screwed me that way too. So I'm at do I want to go back or shouldn't I. Has anyone used their we pay your early termination fee program? What did you think of it it? Was it worth it?

After 23 years of contracts and being screwed by carriers I switched to AT&T prepaid @ $60.00 per month for unlimited talk, text, picture and viedo text and 2 gigs data. I bought my smart phones on line and paid a reasonable price for them. Any both phone lines for my wife and I is less then $100.00 per month. On contract I was paying right at $200.00 a month. The prepaid has no taxes and sur charges added to the price. Almost all the carriers have good plans with data now on prepay. There is even a regional company called Ntelos that has a home plan unlimited talk only for $25.00. Why pay the postpaid plans big charges and add ons when you can get it for less then half for the very same coverage and even more talk time.

• Like 3

I'm not entirely sure " same coverage " is true when you're comparing the smaller plans. Entirely depends how much someone plans on using it. Boost Mobile and or other low cost prepaid plans are notoriously known for being the type of service for the " 60 minutes a month crowd." If it's for minimal to slightly less average use, you probably wouldn't know a difference. But like others, who use internet and their phone a lot, I personally wouldn't switch / downgrade under any circumstances, even if it was to save 25$ a month.

-edit- There's a reason QVC markets the hell out of these things, they are trying to target the minimal user, less inclined person to talk.

I'm not entirely sure " same coverage " is true when you're comparing the smaller plans. Entirely depends how much someone plans on using it. Boost Mobile and or other low cost prepaid plans are notoriously known for being the type of service for the " 60 minutes a month crowd." If it's for minimal to slightly less average use, you probably wouldn't know a difference. But like others, who use internet and their phone a lot, I personally wouldn't switch / downgrade under any circumstances, even if it was to save 25$ a month.

-edit- There's a reason QVC markets the hell out of these things, they are trying to target the minimal user, less inclined person to talk.

Att very same coverage unlimited talk text and 2 gb data and I am saving $100.00 a month. I use wifi most of the time and for general web use 2gb is plenty. I dont watch tv or utube during the day just send emails, run credit cards and of course check the forum a few times a day.

Same coverage just paid in advance.

• Like 1

Wish I could change out but right now I use 12+ gigs a month of data.

It probably all just depends. In my area Verizon is the best. Maybe not best priced, but best coverage. In the country AT&T doesn't have coverage nor the other's. The thing I've seen over the years is they're getting a little cheaper a month now. I used to have unlimited and it was $140 a month. Now me and my wife together is about that.

Alltel is great around here but I'm running verizon and since my contract is up I'm exploring options too.

Alltel here got bought out by Verizon probably in like 2008 or 2009. I had them so I was transferred to Verizon.

Similar here except verizon isn't using all the towers alltel used/uses.

It probably all just depends. In my area Verizon is the best. Maybe not best priced, but best coverage. In the country AT&T doesn't have coverage nor the other's. The thing I've seen over the years is they're getting a little cheaper a month now. I used to have unlimited and it was $140 a month. Now me and my wife together is about that.

AT&T here bought out Celluar one a local celluar service that had built a terrific system even in the rual outlaying areas using a lot of the Universal service funds that is charged on cell phone bills to provide service in the outlaying country areas that would be without service if not for the fund. That is but one of the charges added to your post paid account along with 911 fees and in west virginia a b&o tax for the town/city where the service address is. Prepaid have no fees just your monthly service amount in my case for my line is $60.00. There is a regional company that han national coverage via roaming on partner carriers cdma phone service ( sprint, verizon, us celluar etc ) two smart phone unlimited data for $99.00 a month of course the fees and tax is added to it being it is post paid. I have a line through them for my granddaughter unlimited talk and text $45.00 per month no tax or fees .

Wish I could change out but right now I use 12+ gigs a month of data.

Damn that's alot of data....

I think the most I've used in one month was 6.5gb

So back in early October of last year my parents decided I needed a cell phone due to being their caregiver they need a way to get a hold of me when I'm in my bedroom. Best buy was running a deal with AT&T get the new IPhone 4C for $50 with a new 2 year contract. Well I like AT&T but I hate the idea I'm locked into using this phone for 2 yrs. Now T-Mobile is running a deal they will pay the early termination fee and give you a Galaxy S5 I believe for $0 down, However I don't know if that's with a contract or not. After seeing this commercial I started to wonder if I should switch. I use to be with T-Mobile and they screwed me with their insurance and I told them to cancel me after my 2 yr contract was up and the screwed me that way too. So I'm at do I want to go back or shouldn't I. Has anyone used their we pay your early termination fee program? What did you think of it it? Was it worth it?

I can't fathom T Mobile supplying a Galaxy 5 and paying early termination fee(s) without locking you in to a lengthy contract.

With regard to another comment in this thread, I've been a happy customer of Boost for several years with unlimited talk, text, & web. However I did read a blurb that begining in May if one exceeds 2.5 Gb, they will throttle you back to 2G (didn't realize 2G still existed) 

Got the folks a StraightTalk (Verizon) Home Phone Module (unlimited voice only) last month for $15 a month. All I can say is thank you StraightTalk for selling such a simple device that doesn't require giving repeated lessons on use...........

Damn that's alot of data....

I think the most I've used in one month was 6.5gb

I have wireless internet through them that I use at the store and house plus the ipad is on verizon plus my iphone plus plus plus lol. If I had land based internet it wouldn't be near that high. Anyone use the Walmart Straight Talk phones? If so can you tether to your pc and still be at that flat price?

They say your not in a contract but they get you buy giving you the phone but you have to pass a credit check.then after that they charge you something like $25 more on top of you Bill and you can't upgrade till 6 month to a year.You even might have to pay a deposit.I have Sprint and was going to boost but I can go 3 months without paying my Bill.

I have wireless internet through them that I use at the store and house plus the ipad is on verizon plus my iphone plus plus plus lol. If I had land based internet it wouldn't be near that high. Anyone use the Walmart Straight Talk phones? If so can you tether to your pc and still be at that flat price?

From what I've read the phones can be tethered or set-up wirelessly via the JokiuSpot app. However it would violate their terms of service and at 12.5 Gb per month you would likely be flagged for potential phone account termination.

Yeah I use a lot. Thinking about getting dsl at the store to lower my cellular usage