Sign in to follow this  
pshawny

Wrapping 96' Dodge Neon

I'm thinking about wrapping my 96' Dodge Neon. I like the look of the Oracal 970RA matte graphite metallic.

I have new front & back bumpers, fenders, & side skirts. Should I install them first and then wrap or wrap the new parts while off of the vehicle?

There is paint missing on the rear quarter panels, so I was planning to take them down to bare metal and wrap over it. The rest of the paint is good.

Any tips for a first timer?

Never have wrapped before but if parts are off I would wrap then install, just my thinking from painting side of the world. I also would not wrap just bare metal, if there is any water leak anywhere in your wrap it will rust out, get a good single stage paint just to hit it and seal it. Again just my couple cents

• Like 2

I agree wrap the parts off the car.  It will be easier to work with and wont have to lay on your back to get certain parts covered. 

If you have graphics that you need to line up between the bumpers and the body, I would install them first.

Alot of people don't think of this but wrapping the parts off the car is alot more difficult. 

The problem comes when you have to pull and stretch the vinyl. It's alot easier when it's mounted to the car. 

If you have 3 arms it would be a piece of cake.  1 arm to hold the vinyl, 1 to stretch the vinyl and 1 to hold the heat gun. 

I've done it a few ways where I've ziptied it to a sawhorse and weighted them down with blocks but bumpers still move around. 

Alot of people don't think of this but wrapping the parts off the car is alot more difficult. 

The problem comes when you have to pull and stretch the vinyl. It's alot easier when it's mounted to the car. 

If you have 3 arms it would be a piece of cake.  1 arm to hold the vinyl, 1 to stretch the vinyl and 1 to hold the heat gun. 

I've done it a few ways where I've ziptied it to a sawhorse and weighted them down with blocks but bumpers still move around. 

That did cross my mind. Sounds easier with the parts mounted.

Good Point, Thanks