carwash

Another piece of garage art for a friend....

Did a 4-layer Lamborghini badge today for a friend's garage wall.  Turned out pretty well.  This was much tougher than the ferrari one....

What do ye vinyl gods think?

photo1_zpsd0f0b1f1.jpg

photo2_zps77f80ceb.jpg

photo3_zps3bc040a7.jpg

photo4_zpscad337c1.jpg

photo1_zpsfedb6f5c.jpg

photo2_zps4351ce1d.jpg

photo3_zps9c5e7a79.jpg

photo5_zps08bb407f.jpg

photo5_zpseea3ae89.jpg

Looks pretty good. Did the gold get off on the hoofs a little? I have found a little technique almost by accident that has helped a TON on fine detailed stuff. I use a piece of parchment paper (for backing cookies, my wife keeps huge rolls from Costco on hand), nothing sticks to that stuff. Just peel your carrier off and slap the parchment on and you can lay it right on the lower layer and see though about as good as having the whole thing on a lightbox. Then I tape it in place with a hinge and pull out the parchment paper and it's right in place at that point. It has saved me tons of times since I started using it. I still use reg marks but the added ability to nail a perfect placement is nice. 

• Like 6

Ya light boards are cool. i broke mine. They don't work out on an install either where the parchment works great and you can avoid the bubbles that sometimes come when layering on a carrier prior to install. 

I'm looking forward to giving your parchment method a try tomorrow.  

I even bought a roll of clear transfer tape... and it helps a little but it's the backing that keeps me from seeing, so hoping the parchment is as see through as you say.

Yet another piece of inspiration for me :) That is pretty cool Carwash! Along with the rest of your work this makes me believe a cutter is the right choice for my first machine. I assumed the multi color graphics would be too much for me but the more I surf around the more inspiration I find. This is a great site! Can't wait to get my cutter ;)

Never too much man, just take your time, and plan on wasting a few bucks worth of vinyl.  Yer gonna screw up... a lot.

• Like 1

Wild goose is a damn genius... the parchment trick has made my layered decals a PIECE OF CAKE.... it makes me wonder how I ever did it before, lol.  Clear transfer and parchment makes it a snap!!!! Look how see thru... I won't even use reg marks anymore I don't think...

AEDB0718-CAED-4D1B-9CC3-C0B2F78C5296_zps

5CB85D6E-BCB3-4C37-9770-90CE7CBB2D45_zps

• Like 2

Wild goose is a damn genius... the parchment trick has made my layered decals a PIECE OF CAKE.... it makes me wonder how I ever did it before, lol.  Clear transfer and parchment makes it a snap!!!! Look how see thru... I won't even use reg marks anymore I don't think...

AEDB0718-CAED-4D1B-9CC3-C0B2F78C5296_zps

5CB85D6E-BCB3-4C37-9770-90CE7CBB2D45_zps

Pure luck that I tried it. I had been using it in my heat press on some printed transfers and just noted how nice you could see through it so I wondered if it would work with regular vinyl and the rest is history. It's cheap too!

And it's reusable. I used the same 2 pieces for this job on each layer and then put it back in the box for next time. I. We'd to find a 24" roll.