Lindsaybosworth

Cutting Irregular letters

I have the MH721 and it is 5 years old.  I use Sign Blazer and use it in the trial mode as instructed.  I don't ever cut anything too extravagant, just monograms.  Recently I have had a problem with the cutter.  If I cut the name "Samantha" one of the "m"s will be thinner than the other.  Also, I have changed my blade several times this week (I usually do it every 6 months or so) and the cuts are not coming out clean.  When I go to peel the image off, the vinyl tears and I have to struggle to get the vinyl off the design.  It has been very tedious.  My rods on my stand broke so I just have my vinyl on a roll on the floor....is that is?  I have it in a basement and it has been cold....is that it?  I have a USB cable connecting it to my computer (that I have to pull out often)....is that it?  Is my machine too old???

I am not doing anything differently than I have been in the past 5 years but all of a sudden it is a chore to cut vinyl. I have increased the amount of the needle showing (which in the past would cut through the entire sheet of vinyl) and it still isn't making a clean cut. 

Does anyone know what to do?  I appreciate your help in advance

Well there could be the fact the USB port is failing maybe get a keyspan and hook up that way. Or the Mainboard is going, also the carriage could be going. Maybe you should look into getting a new cutter or buying the keyspan.

I have the MH721 and it is 5 years old.  I use Sign Blazer and use it in the trial mode as instructed.  I don't ever cut anything too extravagant, just monograms.  Recently I have had a problem with the cutter.  If I cut the name "Samantha" one of the "m"s will be thinner than the other.  Also, I have changed my blade several times this week (I usually do it every 6 months or so) and the cuts are not coming out clean.  When I go to peel the image off, the vinyl tears and I have to struggle to get the vinyl off the design.  It has been very tedious.  My rods on my stand broke so I just have my vinyl on a roll on the floor....is that is?  I have it in a basement and it has been cold....is that it?  I have a USB cable connecting it to my computer (that I have to pull out often)....is that it?  Is my machine too old???

I am not doing anything differently than I have been in the past 5 years but all of a sudden it is a chore to cut vinyl. I have increased the amount of the needle showing (which in the past would cut through the entire sheet of vinyl) and it still isn't making a clean cut. 

Does anyone know what to do?  I appreciate your help in advance

First there is only one "M" in Samantha so how can the other "M" be different? hahaha.

Yes keeping the roll on the floor can cause all sorts of problems because the feed rate of the vinyl isn't consistent.  Your vinyl needs to be able to feed smoothly and to do that you need to have the vinyl roll supported where the  vinyl can roll off of it smoothly.  I usually run enough vinyl off to make the decal I'm cutting then run the vinyl back into the cutter.  This leaves the vinyl loose enough to make the decal without the machine taking more vinyl off of the roll.

Welcome to the forum.

this is the correct way to set your blade,

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Also if you are pulling your vinyl off of a roll on the floor, it could be a problem.  If on carpet on vinyl floor,.   Also make sure you have enough vinyl free to do the order, You should never be pulling directly from the vinyl roll.

Having your vinyl sit on the floor and pull off the roll could cause some problems too. Not having the vinyl feed freely could cause it to slip in the pinch rollers and cause the misshaped M's. I would try to repair the rollers or replace them.

Do what Skeeter recommends for adjusting your blade depth, that will fix the cuts not completing.

Hi.

First of all, you can eliminate those trial "nag screens" easily.

Download and install this version --

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

Secondly, try rotating the cut 90* (in the cut screen, there's a checkbox for Rotate Across Vinyl) and see if that changes the result.

Thirdly, I would look at the cutting strip (the white plastic strip that runs along the entire path of the carriage movement) and see if it's not gouged or otherwise damaged.