Sign in to follow this  
NukleoN

Can someone help me troubleshoot a vector file?

HI there,

I'm looking for help troubleshooting this .AI file. Every time I cut with it, my cutter seems to freak out. It'll complete the job, but I get weird cuts on certain letters, it won't cut weed lines properly, I get incomplete cuts, etc.

When I cut different text, it cuts perfectly.

Can someone tell me if this file is the issue? I created the logo from a font and simply added a slash through the 'O' to make a zero. Somehow, I think in the 'expand' stage of Illustrator, the file is going haywire.

Thanks much,

Spacep0d Graphics

Try again this time save down to AI 8.

This what I get when opening your file.

mark-s

post-1335-0-40186300-1388728485_thumb.jp

I see nothing wrong, no open paths or stray nodes, should cut fine.

mark-s

I likewise see zero issues with the file at this stage so it's gotta be an import issue of some sort. When I was using SCALP I was able to import in my native CS5 format. What AI version are you working in? If I remember correctly my version of SCALP didn't like the older format (AI version B) but they have upgraded several times since I quit using it so I have no idea what the current status is. We are all assuming you are using SCALP for cutting.

You are all AWESOME!! Thank you for helping me.

Ok, so I am using Adobe Illustrator CS6 with an LP24. The LP24 cuts other text perfectly, but I just struggle with this file for some reason.

I am also using SignCut to send the files over. Did anyone here use SignCut? If so, can you screenshot your settings for me?

Thanks again!!!

Spacepod

I use SignCut but with a Summa so my setting won't help you out. They have a good tech help line if you call or email them they will get you going. Definitely something with the cutter or the cutting program. Weird that it will cut other stuff ok. You should be downsaving to version 8 for cutting on SignCut. Have you ran it through the preview and seen if it's messing up during the pre-run?

I use SignCut but with a Summa so my setting won't help you out. They have a good tech help line if you call or email them they will get you going. Definitely something with the cutter or the cutting program. Weird that it will cut other stuff ok. You should be downsaving to version 8 for cutting on SignCut. Have you ran it through the preview and seen if it's messing up during the pre-run?

Hi there,

Why should I be downsaving to run anything in SignCut? I've been cutting direct from Adobe Illustrator CS6. Do you think this could be the issue? Should I downsave and just open that file from AI CS6 to cut? The problem is, from AI CS6 I just use the 'Send to Signcut' command and I am in SignCut. It works for other stuff just fine...but oddly, not for this file.

You probably shouldn't have to with a plug-in. I don't have my cutter connected to my design computer. I actually draw on a mac and just stick the files on a thumb and go plug it into a windows laptop over by the cutter so I don't even have a plug-in installed in AI. I just know that SignCut uses version 8 or lower according to the tech help people. It has something to do with some of the variables associated with the CS versions like multiple artboards etc. 

Just as an experiment save it as a different name as a version 8 legacy file and then open up SignCut manually rather than using the "send to SignCut" command and open the file from that side and see if it does any different. The other question I have is when you open it in SignCut have you looked at it in the preview mode? Do you see the areas where it is going weird in the preview and did you try letting SignCut do it's little preview cut run and watch to see if the little knife display does anything like what your machine is doing? I'm trying to think of ways to isolate the problem. 

• Like 1

Have you tried saving the file as a PNG or JPEG and then image tracing it in Illustrator to remake it as a vector and try that?

I had a problem like that and just making it a new vector fixed it.  you basically need to get away from the current file seems to have a bug in it.

• Like 1