What describes your situation/operation the best?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What describes your situation/operation the best?

• :Legit sign shop with more than 1yr exp.
    • Legit sign business, new to industry
    • Experienced graphics person, doing it on the side
    • Home hobbiest, looking to become sign business
    • Home hobbiest, just making decals for fun

Is there a beach in New Hampshire? No sales tax and a beach would definately place it at the top of my list of retirement places.

Cold doesn't bother me,I love snow. In fact,we had a bit here during the night.

Oh,I don't actually go IN the water, I just like looking at it and listening to the waves.

Geez John I thought you didn't like winters???  I personally have outgrown them, maybe it's because I don't have enough winter time toys.  So I'm moving.

Jenny

I love snow,the look of it. I don't like cold. So,I stay inside. My allergies and my condition make that pretty easy to do.

I too love the LOOK of snow, but prefer to stay out of it...lol. 

Jenny

Guest fivestar

Snow looks real good on a postcard.  ;)

I got enough snow when I was a kid -- lived in North Dakota!!!

Now I live i southern California - if I want to see snow I drive about 40 miles up to Mountain High resort throw a snowball and leave.

I wonder if Rynecoop checked with his accountant and researched things to find out he is in fact required to collect sales tax & that it ISN'T related to the Sched C for income tax?

I wonder if Rynecoop checked with his accountant and researched things to find out he is in fact required to collect sales tax & that it ISN'T related to the Sched C for income tax?

I did check with my accountant, (my aunt is a cpa works out great!)  She said that I do not have to collect sales tax.  Yes IL does have sales tax, I never meant to say they didn't.  But the way I run my business, I do not need to charge sales tax.  Thank you for your concerns though, you kinda had me worried for a min.  then I had to call her to double check, and have her explain again how we have my business set up.

Maybe the IRS was watching this site and took him away  ;) 

LOL that was a good one!

FYI:  Just thought I would let everyone know that if you do charge sales tax, you only do it on the materials, not the labor!  I am sure those of you who do charge, are aware but I just wanted to let everyone know.

I guess if my aunt messed up and the state comes after me for the tax, I could just tell them that I wasn't selling products.  I am selling a service.  I give the vinyl away for free, and just charge to cut it, and apply it (all labor) LOL Just joking but I guess that you could say that if worst came to worst.  ;D

Guest fivestar

That may be the case in IL ryne, but here in Ohio you gotta charge sales tax on service too.  I honestly don't understand how you could be setup without charging sales tax, but with your aunt being a CPA she should know.

ya the way she explained it was confusing, but I guess thats why I pay her to figure that stuff out. 

I did check with my accountant, (my aunt is a cpa works out great!)  She said that I do not have to collect sales tax.  Yes IL does have sales tax, I never meant to say they didn't.  But the way I run my business, I do not need to charge sales tax.  Thank you for your concerns though, you kinda had me worried for a min.  then I had to call her to double check, and have her explain again how we have my business set up.

Maybe the IRS was watching this site and took him away  ;) 

LOL that was a good one!

FYI:  Just thought I would let everyone know that if you do charge sales tax, you only do it on the materials, not the labor!  I am sure those of you who do charge, are aware but I just wanted to let everyone know.

I guess if my aunt messed up and the state comes after me for the tax, I could just tell them that I wasn't selling products.  I am selling a service.  I give the vinyl away for free, and just charge to cut it, and apply it (all labor) LOL Just joking but I guess that you could say that if worst came to worst.   ;D

Based on the published IL info on sales tax here: http://tax.illinois.gov/Businesses/TaxInformation/Sales/rot.htm  I can't find anywhere that would indicate a for-profit sole proprietorship sign shop/graphics business would be exempt from collecting sales tax except on out-of-state sales in which the buyer is responsible for paying the appropriate sales tax directly to the state on said purchases ...  So if you are a sole proprietor and for-profit, I'm curious as to how you have your business "set-up"& the way you run it, that you don't have to charge/collect sales tax??

You may want to get a second opinion from someone who's a tax professional & not related or affiliated with your business  (not a customer). Also to point out, your FYI is misleading as each state has their own sales tax policies. So while IL may not require sales tax imposed on labor, other states do, i.e. Ohio - sales tax is imposed on all sales, tangible property(materials) & services/labor alike.

Maybe the IRS was watching this site and took him away  B) 

LOL that was a good one!

I guess if my aunt messed up and the state comes after me for the tax, I could just tell them that I wasn't selling products.  I am selling a service.  I give the vinyl away for free, and just charge to cut it, and apply it (all labor) LOL Just joking but I guess that you could say that if worst came to worst.   ;D

Based on the published IL info on sales tax here: http://tax.illinois.gov/Businesses/TaxInformation/Sales/rot.htm  I can't find anywhere that would indicate a for-profit sole proprietorship sign shop/graphics business would be exempt from collecting sales tax except on out-of-state sales in which the buyer is responsible for paying the appropriate sales tax directly to the state on said purchases ...  So if you are a sole proprietor and for-profit, I'm curious as to how you have your business "set-up"& the way you run it, that you don't have to charge/collect sales tax??

You may want to get a second opinion from someone who's a tax professional & not related or affiliated with your business  (not a customer). Also to point out, your FYI is misleading as each state has their own sales tax policies. So while IL may not require sales tax imposed on labor, other states do, i.e. Ohio - sales tax is imposed on all sales, tangible property(materials) & services/labor alike.

very good point Aardy54  I am going to check with another accountant, I dont want to take the fall for my aunts mistake.  thanks for the info

wow - only 46 votes on a site with so many users, and poll closes tomorrow I think ....

Yeah... but if you look at the post history for all the "members", only about 1/20 are active members.

Legit- Screen printing for 3 years I am paying my taxes, I am looking towards getting into a store front, but the garage does just fine at this time. The vinyl has been a great profit and seems to sell more than the screen printing.  ;D

We have been in the printing business for 16 years.  It is always fun paying taxes.

Purchased 2 plotters this past year just to expand the business.

I have ran a jewelry store for 32yrs. I have raced large cars for 8 yrs (figure ;D,My son and I race 14 scale rc cars now. Got tired of paying for a product in datailing rc cars body (after nascars) and being disappointed. Decided to buy cutter 6mths ago and have been doing out of basement.

My son is 14 and enjoys doing it. Hope to expand to store front in 1 yr if coninues to grow at current pace.