chipperi

I need a cheat sheet

Does anyone have a list of standard, or most commonly used sign and decal sizes? I just want to know what size graphics to make for a compact car vs a full size pickup truck. I have a guy asking about a large rear window decal for a big diesel pickup and am probably just going to measure the window to see what the largest I can fit is. Are there industry standard sizes for different applications?

• Like 1

Man I don't know if there is any kind of standard for large rear window graphics. There is probably a basic rule of thumb for smaller stuff but I always just take or ask for a measurement and build to suit. I have also found that you can get into trouble with install if you don't leave a little leeway around the edges. I put some on the side windows of my own suburban and had to re-cut because I didn't think about the angle on opposite sides being reversed. 

There are cd's out there and some web sites that if you know the truck or car put it in and you can size your decal to fit. Last I looked though they were hundreds of dollars  and each year is more. I just have my customers size there windows and go from there. Hard to get a list  because each year is different.

Best thing is to measure each individual vehicle.

There are templates on DVD that vehicle-wrap companies use, with dimensions of thousands of models. However, it's relatively expensive.

http://www.uscutter.com/Art-Station-Vehicle-Templates

and

http://www.uscutter.com/My-Tinter-Window-Film-Cutting-System-Version-10-Subscription-version

Thanks guys I will just measure the window.  I know with signs and magnets you have 12x18 18x24 fairly standard sizes but when in come to cars best measure. Some one on another post recommended that if I wanted to sell on e-bay I should do large graphics or even decal sets since I have a larger plotter...I will have to choose a size that will fit multiple vehicles if I want to sell large window decals on there....

As far as the templates go I have had nothing but problems with them. It seems accuracy was never a primary concern for the creator of these things so now I just use a tape measure and some good straight on pictures for reference.

Now I remember, maybe last year the was a site that you could put in the year and model and it would give you the window size.

Just pickups? Don't remember. But I know I checked and it was dead on.

I am sure I got the site from here, but now can't find anything to do with it.