Sign in to follow this  
Go-C Graphics

Across the road banner.

So a lady I work with is in charge of an event committee for her town.  She wants me to place a bid to do a banner across the main street road.  

Has anyone done a banner like this?  What kind of materials is involved?  Do you use an HD banner material?  

What kind of materials do you use to hang it and do you use weights at the bottom to keep it from tangling up?   

Any help will be greatly appreciated.  

The good thing is she can get the town maintenance crew to hang it because I don't do heights very well.  hehe 

I would either look for a mesh banner to let air through or a 15-18 oz. and cut wind slits in it. I would think weights hanging from it would be a serious liability if it ever came loose and crashing down. Now that I said that no I haven't done one like that.

Why did the banner cross the road?

|

|

|
 |
 |

|
 |

|

V

To get to the other side.

I haven't personally made any of these banners but I have seen a lot of them and I always pay attention to how people install such items.

The best install that I saw was stretched between two light poles. They ran 1/8" cable from one side of the street to the other and at the top and bottom of the banner. Then they placed tensioners on each cable at one side. This allowed them to keep the banner nice and taunt. They did have the half circle slits in the banner but it wasn't a windy day so I couldn't tell if they were really a necessity.

• Like 1

We use 16oz - 19oz freedom banner material from Fellers, reinforce the corners with triangle gussetts and grommets every 24".  Tension cables for top and bottom of banner.

and windslits cut in banner, if you don't use windslits even a little wind will turn your banner into a sail. we make these from 20' - 40' and 4' tall.

• Like 1

I hate to admit this but we are really bad about taking pictures of street banners. This is the most recent one I could find, I know have more I'll try and post them later.

This is a 4' x 20' black double sided 19oz with windsilts.

Just to clarify the town installs these not us, that's why they sag.

post-70098-0-04301200-1384366116_thumb.j

• Like 1

I've been doing alot of research.  

Cable runs top and bottom.  Grommets every 18"-24" 

Thanks for the picture FrznFire07. I hadn't read anything about tensioners but I think that's a great idea.