Sign in to follow this  
JessXEmoji

Weeding Vinyl

You guys have any good tips on weeding. When im pulling up larger sections from a cut it gets harder to control with one hand while holding the backing down with the other hand and the part im pulling off sometimes gets stuck on the decal and ruins it. What do you guys do?

Make score lines in the vinyl so you're pulling up smaller sections at a time.

• Like 2

tape down the corners so it doesn't move on you.

also most plotters have an option for "easy weed" if you select this option it will cut small boxes around lines or letters depending on your settings.

takes more time to weed this way but helps.

what they said and set your cutter up carefully - on big sheets many times I will hold it up to a wall and stacey will weed the big scrap off in one pull.  that way it is held in place and she has the ability to change angles to keep from sticking etc.  I especially do this a lot with big contour cut decal orders as it save soooo much time.   had a couple of snags lately and knew it was time to change the cleancut again (about a year this time I think)

Same here..I look at it as a whole, I make all my score cuts before hand as to be able to remove as much till I get near the intricate areas, I can remove 70-80% by making the precuts before using light table to get to the sensitive areas...

• Like 1

when I layered I loved my light table - just make one or cheat like I did and get a govt surplus

Thanks! i never thought to make cuts. Ha

Is it worth getting a light table?

I <3 m light table.. i only paid $100  but if i where you just take a shop light put it under a glass coffee table lol

I <3 m light table.. i only paid $100  but if i where you just take a shop light put it under a glass coffee table lol

our production table is glass and we just put a fixture under it! works great.

I made a few decals today and i just made some extra cuts with the knife and it makes weeding  much better!  thanks for the tips!

I manually cut it into smaller pieces just pressing light enough to cut only through the vinyl like stated above.  For smaller things I just peel off the whole.  Not sure if you are using this or not but I only use needle point tweezers.  A friend of mine only uses a knife to weed..not sure how he survives.  I love weeding using a tweezers..makes it soooo much easier.