npace

Bubbles appearing hours after application?

I'm working on a kart body, double layer vinyl. I layered first, applied as 1 decal. What is blowing my mind is that the vinyl went on wet, no bubbles, perfect. I kept checking for hours after making sure I had all the fluid out. All good.

The next day I come in, I have bubbles!  

Could it be the fiberglass finish resisting the vinyl? 

Is there recent paint that could still be gassing?

Has the enviroment Changed? (temperture or humidity)

Either of those factors could cause bubbling.

Also you stated, "I kept checking for hours after making sure I had all the fluid out."

Did you continue to 'squeegey' the decal for hours after installation?

That (over-working the vinyl) could be a problem as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for your response skarekrow.  How long does gassing last? He brought me the 3 piece frame in the box it was shipped to him in. It sat here at the shop for a week before he decided on design. The paint job looks like a fast factory job with poor coverage in places. Naturally I would like to blame that but I'm sure it's something I did.    

For checking on for hours, it was a visual check, but I did work it a good bit to get the fluid out at first. 

I'm at the point of ripping it off and putting down one layer at a time with a day in between to see what happens. I could let it go as is, nothing more I can do, it's going to get filthy on the track and what's the lifetime of a kart body anyway?  Problem is, I'm a perfectionist and I kinda like the reputation I've built.  so........looks like I'm breaking out the heat gun. 

Thanks again!

The gassing lasts til the paint has cured... not just dried.

Depends on the type of paint and curing enviroment... anywhere from 72 hours to 3 weeks.

More longer is possible. Lots of variables to concider.

You can get some Idea from smelling the painted surface.

If there's no paint smell present, there's a good chance it's finished gassing.

The vinyl has been on for 3 days now and when I went to remove the vinyl, it peeled off like static cling. It's 651 and I've never had anything peel that easy. It must be what you are describing or something they use for a clear coat finish.  Thank you again for your advice. 

If you cleaned the surface with alcohol beforehand, it's unlikely the clear coat product type

was the problem though, it and/or the basecoat could have been gassing off.

Good that it came off trouble free. Give it some time to cure and try again.

Sounds like all the mold release was not removed from the surface. It was probably not painted just gel coated in the mold. 

mold release = silicone. nothing sticks to silicone. I vote with mopar on that.

OP says, "The paint job looks like a fast factory job with poor coverage in places."

Since he mentioned paint I figured it would have came off as well if it was due to the Fiberglass mold release.

Nevertheless... you're right in that  few products would adhere to mold release residue.

• Like 1

Never entered my mind until mopar said it and I used to run blow mold making big wheels when I was younger. Silicone mold release every few parts or you spend 20 minutes with a rubber mallet getting the part out.

• Like 1

I have to admit I made the assumption the OP cleaned the surface with alcohol therefore, likely removing

contaminants like mold release. Had to go back and ask for the same reason.

Good friend of mine says, "I know a lot I just can't think of it!". :)

• Like 1

I wipe everything down with adhesive remover and follow up with app fluid to neutralize it.The adhesive remover and app fluid are in my install kit all the time so just convenient for me. And yeah alcohol is cheaper, I just don't want to add more stuff to the install box. It's starting to get a little crowded in there.

• Like 2

I am curious was it painted or just shot quick with a colored gelcoat. That is the question we will never know as they could of still missed a lot and given it the appearance of over spray on edges with splatter and all. I would assume if it came from the manufacturer it would of not been painted. Popped out of mold, seams ground down then buffed back to gloss and done. Every glass shop I worked in that was the procedure. But as always I could very well be wrong, just my assumption, 

• Like 1

Good point there, Mopar. Why paint when you could have had the color 'built in'? It may be hard to determine at this point.

Guess the best the OP can do is to clean the surface well and try again ?

Shouldn't make a difference if it's thoroughly clean and completely cured, right?

Or is there a surface condition where the decals will never adhere?

• Like 1

i had a section of windshield on a customers truck that nothing would stick to. Even tried cleaning it with acetone and it wouldn't stick. Only time I ever ran into that but I guess anything is possible.

• Like 1

Thanks for all of the input and advice. It was a gelcoat. I called the manufacturer, he recommended using straight acetone.  Still was not a good contact. I hit it with a little heat and let it sit on the car for a week and it seems to have settled. Or at least it is not lifting off on it's own now.  

post-25080-0-12157400-1386194838_thumb.j