xJoey Dubsx

Anyone make their own panel saw?

Just wondering if anyone has made their own or know of any cheap alternatives? This could be something I could really use for signs and other projects but don't wanna spend the $2000 grand...

I know there is the guide systems like below, but want something fixed..
B650.jpg

I could have swore back in 05' when I was working at Fast Signs, we had one with a knife too, so we can cut coro and other knifeable stuff.. Maybe I'm nuts but yeah, need something like that too..

Also, just saw this.
http://signsplusbanners.com/itemdetail.php?sku=900&p=Cutting+%26+Trimming+Tools&c=Panel+Saws&s=Portable+Cutting+Guides

That kit looks like a good deal. I've seen the blade type in some of the catalogs but I'm not at the store to reference. Thinking it was in Fellers or Signwarehouse.

Unless you was doing a pile of signs/projects the straight edge and circular saw works great. I make mine with 1/4 inch hardboard and a good straight 1x4 cut a pc of hardboard about 12-14 inches attach the 1x4 alonf the factory edge with glue and screws after it is attached carfully run your saw against the 1x4 cutting off the excess hardboard now you have a perfect straight edge just align the edge with the cut line clamp down and cut. This will also work with routers and jigsaws just be sure to use the same saw with the jig. I have multiple saws, routers etc so I mark each jig with the saw etc that it was made for. This is how I cut down full sheets of plywood prior to cuting on a table saw even for cabinets.

• Like 1

I just saw a new tool at Lowe's .  It's like a straight edge and a clamp put together .  Quick on / Quick off

• Like 1

I have a 4' clamp on guide from Harbor Freight but that doesn't  help on the longer cuts.

I have a 4' clamp on guide from Harbor Freight but that doesn't  help on the longer cuts.

The jig I described above will cut a full sheet lenth wise. I have one for cross cuts and also for a router. With a fine blade you can cut coro, diabond or even aluminum sheets I use an 80 tooth carbide blade for metal.