bradsc1954

Oracal 651 Question

I have a roll of black 651. It isn't cutting or weeding easily. Plus when I do try to weed it. The vinyl is stiff and sounds like aluminum foil as you take it up. I am not sure how old the roll as it was given to me. Is this a sign that it is to old to use?

Thanks

Brad

From what you describe I would be concerned about using it. For the cost of 651 it really isn't worth the gamble IMO.

• Like 1

i would say its old, i use oracal 651 for everything i make and its very easy to work with and has a bit of elastic to it when pulling on it.

May need to cut a little deeper. Sounds like it may not be cutting all the way through.

Thanks for the responses guys. I am leaning towards the roll being bad. I tried re-cutting with higher blade pressure and the results weren't much different. So I am going to pitch the roll. At least it didn't cost me anything other than time and a little frustration. And a lesson learned.

Brad

Definitely an old roll...had the same thing happen with a roll of 631 Gentian Blue.  Chuck it...you'll find it's very difficult to lift the backing off as well once you have transfer tape on it.

How it was stored probably had more effect than it's age imo ( too hot and dry ) . I still have some 651 I bought right after buying my 1rst cutter 6 years ago . I use it for my personal projects with no trouble . I have a couple rolls that got flooded about 1' high amd cuts/weeds good . Like what was said , not enough money to worry about and easily tossed out . I would not use anything I think inferior for a customer , but I don't like to waste anything .