phlint

Need help cleaning up a 65 station wagon line art piece

Someone sent me this picture because I have a 1965 Biscayne wagon. I REALLY love this graphic and REALLY want to use it to make myself some Tshirts and vinyl for the back window of that 1965 - but I can't get the image to clean up enough with signblazer to do so.

Part of the problem is that the image is actually a 1965 Pontiac, so I need a clean piece to work with to "remove" the tail light and part of the trim piece to make it into a Chevy Biscayne.

If I could get some help, I'd be VERY appreciative.

Thanks,

John

post-3062-0-91452500-1377140296_thumb.jp

phlint,

Around here folks are super helpful but you are expected to do your own work. The Teach a Man to Fish and feed him his whole life concept is applied liberally. If you want some tips on HOW to do what you are talking about rather than hoping someone is feeling like donating several hours to your cause you will receive more assistance. We all have our own little projects going too. No offense. Not saying someone won't do it for you either.

• Like 3

Ok - first of all THANK YOU for clueing me in.   I honestly didn't realize I was asking for anything outside the scope of the norm.  I just figured that while my SB converter struggled, someone else may have a program that could kick it out within 3 cilcks and/or 30 seconds and it wouldn't be a big deal.

I definitely don't expect anyone to work for minutes on something like this, let alone HOURS.

My apologies.

That said, let me start over.  Concerning the above graphic - is there a free vectorizing software that I may be able to download that would perform  vectorizing better than signblazer?

OR?

About how much would I expect to pay someone to convert that image into something that would work with SB?

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

You don't need to apologize, the other good part about this forum is that everyone is fairly level headed and won't roast you for every little thing you say either. You might try downloading a free copy of Inkscape to try getting a better vector conversion. I have never used signblazer so I don't know how it is set up to compare with Inkscape. Most of these programs will take a shot at vectoring a picture and then you can go in and clean up the image to suit what you want it to look like by moving around the "nodes" and actual points within the design. If you want it to be nice and super clean then you will probably have to trace it out from scratch. That is what I would do, but it will be time consuming either way. There isn't an easy button for getting a vector image that is clean. There are some who will do it for $$ and once in a while on a whim for free, I would expect to pay a minimum of $25. Most of us just do our own to save the money and get that warm fuzzy of having created a masterpiece....at least in our own minds. 

• Like 1

There are tons of youtube vids on using Inkscape to help you learn and the program also has a decent bunch of exercises in the help menu that will get you going in the right direction. It gets easier as you learn and you will be rewarded for your efforts big time once you can do this stuff yourself. There are other great programs like Illustrator or Corel Draw that are a little more high zoot that Inkscape but cost some money to get into and essentially do the same thing. Hard to beat Inkscape bang for buck and regardless of how you go its worth downloading and using if nothing more than to help decide what you may want to upgrade to in the future.

I  downloaded your pic and did a quick trace in Inkscape (on my day job work computer) and this is what I cam up with. It may get you started or not but here you go. Assuming I attached this correctly that is.

Have a good day!

65 Wagon.eps

Here is a true tracing to give you something to compare results with. I didn't do any modification to make it look like another year like you were wanting and I just followed my interpretation of the pic as it was but hopefully you can use this. It should cut ok if you go big enough.

65 wagon.eps

Thanks very much everyone. I really appreciate it and I'm sure one of those will work out great.

I should have renamed that second one that I hand traced to avoid getting them confused. Sorry I didn't pay more attention.

Not a problem. I'll figure it out later. I actually stole another relative's golf cart and am overhauling it Detroit RedWings style for a Thursday reveal. They also don't know it's missing, yet.