Sign in to follow this  
OWJones

Huh... what's a battery doing in there?

The cyan cartridge on my Epson WFP4020 reported as low and so I pulled it from the printer and discovered it's still at 80%+ of capacity (Epson puts a lot less ink in their cartridges compared to Cobra) and so I performed the basic reset and put it back in the printer... and got the dreaded "Cartridge not recognized" error.

Pulled it out, reset it again and put it back - same thing.

Pulled it out, reset it again and waited 5 minutes before putting it back - same thing.

Pulled it out, reset it again and waited 30 minutes before putting it back - still the same error message

Called Cobra Ink, Richard called me back in just a few minutes and walked me through how to pop the chip off the cartridge and showed me where to find the tiny watch battery attached to the back of the chip board - I pulled the battery out, waited a few seconds, put it back in, put the chip board back on the cartridge, inserted it and voila - I'm back in business.

Who thought it was a good idea to put tiny batteries inside of ink jet cartridges? That's just silly...

• Like 1

Definitely good info there since I use 1 of Richard's setups.

Forgot to add, Richard said those batteries occasionally die and need to be replaced, so he's shipping me a free replacement chip for when my battery dies.  He also said that the batteries are available at places like Radio Shack if you can't wait.