Sign in to follow this  
WHIT72

So many phones ringing.

Hey guys, has anyone successfully add two phone numbers to one cell phone. I finally got down to one cell phone but I need a business line. I don't want to carry two phones again. I was wondering if this was even an option? I have read its possible with google voice, has anyone used it?

The perfect solution would be one cell phone with two different ringtones, one for personal use and the for business.

Thanks.

You can setup a free Google Voice account and then have all the calls to that number ring your cell phone instead and that way you'll have two incoming phone numbers and you can dial out using either number through the Google Voice app on your smartphone.

I'm not sure if you can set a different ringtone depending on which number was dialed, but you can set different ringtones for each contact on your list, so set a business-friendly ringtone for all of your business contacts and be polite when you answer "unknown" calls and you should be good.

And for the love of God, don't use inappropriate or rude ringtones even for personal contacts, because you don't want to be at work when your cousin Larry calls and have "Momma's got her boobs out" start playing... Yeah, I used to work with that guy...

Thanks OW, yeah I don't care for the music ringtones myself. I use the old time ringer now on my phone.

In Google Voice there is a setting for what will show up on your caller ID. You can have either the person callings number or your Google Voice number. I have the Google Voice number show up because that's my business number. That way I know which line I'm answering and you set a special ringtone for that number.

I have a Skype number that I use for business. I can have it forwarded to my cell phone if I want. It costs me about $60   a year and worth every penny. I was paying $100 a month to the phone company for a business line.

Thanks guys, Dakota I'm going to look at a land line eventually. I'm waiting for it to pick up a little.

Thanks for the info on going to go ahead with the google voice and set a different ringtone. As usual you guys always have the answers.

the unit I linked to uses your google voice thru your lan connection to make a house phone that cost NOTHING after you buy the unit.  no monthly fees for anything - much better than the 25 a month we pay for vonage for our other line.

I use a T-Mobile data only plan and Google Voice for my business and personal numbers. Works great on WiFi but can be pretty crappy out in the real world. I'll probably switch to a regular cell plan next month but keep the Google Voice setup, that way my call quality will be improved.