motoxchic

good chrome vinyl for banners?

I did some small chrome spots on a 3x8' banner recently using ORACAL 351 Metallized Polyester vinyl.  Is is ok, but when rolling it up it definitely has wrinkles.  The next one, same layout is 4x15', so larger chrome areas.  Is there a better chrome for this flexible application?

I didn't know chrome was Flexible..   I use Avery and no way... Meant for flat/ mild curve. Consider it like aluminum foil only thicker   I don't know about others.  It is also  Polyester vinyl,  but I think thicker than Oracal. . I have to bump up my force to cut it clean.

I would think it would all do that - it isn't made to be flexible like skeeter said - not sure on the new avery wrap stuff but wouldn't think it would work for rolling up

It comes on a roll I would think it would be happy returning to that shape but the oracal doesn't have the strongest adhesive which may make the problem worse. I have used the avery and it is thicker but also seems to have a more aggressive adhesive which may help. All this being said chrome is not designed to be flexible but I had cherry mosaic on a flea market banner for 2 years but up and taken down twice a week. After 2 years it was looking pretty rough but the vinyl was still sticking.

Thanks all.  I might try the Avery or see if they want something metallic but not chrome instead.

the metallic content in any of it is going to crinkle when it bends and isn't a smooth roll - it would be darn near impossible to keep it from kinking

I used to keep mine rolled on a cardboard tube and it held up for a long time but I don't think I'd feel comfortable selling 1 and hoping they took the same care that I did.

Yes, there has been a few times that buyers have wanted a quote for full side detailed decals in Silver Chrome.  like 100"L x 20"W".    I just fire back a quote of $1000.00    That kinda deters them...  LOL     

+1 on the tubes - been using them for several banners lately - the Roland material is far more suple than the other brands so I roll those and going back to ultraflex

I am thinking like the 751 Silver Gray or Anthracite type material, flecks, not fully metallic.  This client is a friend and if the first 2 banners I did do not hold up I will just replace it with gray.  After doing 56 banner sides on this project I am getting pretty good at removing stuff that does not go on right, lol.  The chrome looks awesome....for 5 min. 

Look into avery ultra metallic. I did a van in the pink color (can't remember the name) for a wedding company it and the glitter really add some bling to it.