bcdecals

Help with windshield lettering?

I am doing a few windshield top lettering jobs for a club and everything so far is good except for 1 thing.  I know from experience that in order for something like this to look right, you must contour to the windshield by including the "drop".  Does anyone know a place online where I can find the windshield drop?

I did search for a couple hours online and have the dimensions I need as far as width and letter height, but do not have the drop.  Also, I do know how to measure the drop myself, but unfortunately the car is not local.  Specifically, I am looking for the drop of an '86 Monte Carlo and an '88 Monte Carlo.

Also, I do appreciate ANY help with this, but before I get criticized or get these answers I will cover it :)  I am not a shop or business, and I am definitely not an e-store (not that there is anything wrong, but yes, I do know what rookies do with online business).  A friend asked me if I could do these for a friend of his (at fair price), so I agreed, but he lives in another state.  He intends to pick them up when he comes to visit.  Also, I could ask the customer for it, but considering it is a club, I am dealing with one person and when I tried to explain measuring the drop he seemed very confused, plus he only has 1 of the 2 models I need.

All feedback is appreciated, and if you have any questions for me as to sizing and pricing I am doing, feel free to ask!

Brad

Both years have the same w/s if that makes it any easier for you.

Search on here. someone posted a link to instructions for doing that.

ok, i'll be the dummy to ask the question. i looked at the site above. i get measuring A-B = c , top - bottom = , now what do i do with those #'s to calculate the arc. ? I know, may be obvious but i wasn't good in math. :)

Thanks everyone!  As I stated though, unfortunately I do know how to measure the Contour already, but I don't have the cars at hand to do so. 

@theresat, there are different ways to go from there depending on software, experience, etc.  What I do is scale everything to size, then literally draw 2 lines on top of each other (at the length between A & B), then bend the second evenly until I have reached the desired spacing or "drop measurement" (the distance between the AB line or dotted line in the example referenced, and the point at which you hit weather-stripping or the windshield ends) .  From there, if using a standard text, I simply fit the text to that path and then convert to curves.  If not, then using a contour tool, I manually contour the design to match the arch. 

I'm sure there are simpler ways to do this, but I learned this portion on my own when my "home business" all of a sudden boomed with people wanting windshield lettering.  I'm used to it now, so it's really only a 1-2 minute process.  Btw, if it helps I primarily use CorelDraw x3.  Although for some curves and contouring Photoshop or Inkscape may be a better and more effective program.

ok, i'll be the dummy to ask the question. i looked at the site above. i get measuring A-B = c , top - bottom = , now what do i do with those #'s to calculate the arc. ? I know, may be obvious but i wasn't good in math. :)

Create your text.

Make it the A to B dimension in length and the height you want

Create a rectangle A to B in length and ? in Heigth

Align your text and rectangle

Manipulate + Distortion and select the Select the Arch distortion

Drag the bottom of the text to the top of the rectangle

Drag the top of the text up to make it approx. the right heigth

Click Select

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/3Fna7svV

If you need a windshield, you might want to find a local salvage yard. I am sure they would let you measure one of theirs. My Girlfriend owns a salvage yard, and I will ask her if they have an 86 Monte Carlo, and check on that drop, if you'd like!

Ok, I just checked, and she don't have anything that old, but this might help. First, if you DO go to a local yard, you can just ask if they have a Hollander #270-04567A. That is the part number! Next, if they don't have that part, the interchange is; Century 78-80, Cutlass 78-87, Lemans 78-81, Malibu 78-87, Monte Carlo 78-88, Regal 78-87, and Sprint (GMC) 78-87.

If you can't find one at a salvage yard, you might want to check with a glass shop. If you explain your situation, they MAY allow you to measure one of theirs. Be sure to account for the chrome trim, if there IS any on the vehicle when measuring!

Good luck, ad I hope this helped you! Have a Happy and SAFE Holiday!

Thanks for all of the help Galaxy!  I certainly will try calling the salvage yard to go measure, or a windshield company which may have the drop measurements on hand!  I did think of that, but it was Friday evening when I posted this and most around here aren't open weekends!  I will post what I find out tomorrow if I am able to figure it out!

Brad