petroman2012

Summer heat versus 651 usage....

I was asked to cut a smaller version of something I already do, they asked would it warp or droop and all those things under the summer heat, and then I am told he wants to put it INSIDE on his read window so I am imaginating all windows up during daytime hrs building inside 100-130 degree heat THATS of course if it is parked out in the open...So....I went to USCUTTER and didn't find and specs on 651 per a heat regiment to abide by...Any help from ya"ll...I am unfamiliar with the heat issue as I have WHITE vinyl on back window and it has been up to 95 here and heat index 98-100 and well no ripple or crinkle on my vinyl lettering on window OUTSIDE not inside...Any help is appreciated.....

Beat you to it...I went to Oracal and came up with the spec sheet...Where it states: If applied to Aluminum  a temp of: -40F to +176 was its variable....No word used GLASS but am sure it applies...Thank you...I emailed him and truthfully putting it INSIDE sounds well kinda DUHHH....Especially since he wanted in BLACK, now if it was WHITE I might see it....

I have never had any issues with 651 and heat. We hit 105 heat index 1 day last week, summer is coming.

Jay

I hate black on glass. Reminds of a post with no image you just can't see it.

• Like 1

Ive had 651 white, and Greenstar white on vehicle glass in Southwest Texas for 2 years now, and still looks great... So unless he lives in Hell, or on the surface of the sun... He should be good to go...

Someone posted awhile back about putting vinyl on the inside of windows and that it was not advised, something about the UV protective coating on the vinyl is not on the sticky side so you'll get fade much faster. Might not be an issue with black, but something to think about.

The issue isn't fading, it is that UV rays actually destroy adhesive (and vinyl) but almost all auto glass is UV blocking to keep that same UV from destroying the interior of the car. Most modern windows have the same UV blocking included, but older windows do not and can lead to premature failure.

My rule of thumb, and I don't claim it is reliable, is that doors made of metal and fiberglass will usually have UV blocking glass but wooden doors you need to check the age on - anything more than 30-40 years old you should be cautious of.