smendlik

Help with OraMASK 813 Stencil Film

I tried using this film for the first time and am having a little problem.  The film cut great, the problem was when I was removing the film, some of the paint came off of the surface.

Little background...I am painting up an ammo can, I just recently sanded the surface and sprayed a new base coat.  I waited just over 24 hours which according to the instructions on the Rustoleum can is enough.  The white looking specs below are actually the bare metal where the base coat pulled off

My thoughts on the cause are:

• Wait longer for the base coat to more fully cure
  • Take the ammo can down to bare metal and use a primer coat
  • Heat the film up before removing
  • Maybe this film cannot be used on a matte finish

ammo.can.small.JPG

Anybody use this film before or have an opinion?

looks like an adhesion problem with your primer on the bare metal berore you painted it

looks like an adhesion problem with your primer on the bare metal berore you painted it

I didn't prime it as I didn't take the box fully down to bare metal, I just scuffed it up to make a rough surface for the base to adhere to.  I'll try sanding it down to bare metal and prime and see if that works.

Thanks.

According to the specs, Oracal 813 has a low-tack water-based adhesive, so it shouldn't be pulling Rustoleum off of metal if it's properly applied and fully cured.  I'm gonna go follow Dakota's lead and say it's a lack of primer.

According to the specs, Oracal 813 has a low-tack water-based adhesive, so it shouldn't be pulling Rustoleum off of metal if it's properly applied and fully cured.  I'm gonna go follow Dakota's lead and say it's a lack of primer.

I'll find out, I sanded the box down to bare metal and primed tonight.  I'll paint it tomorrow then let it cure for a couple of day then try again this weekend.  I'll post back in case anybody else is curious.

I mainly

That would be my guess to. I use it on wood projects and have had no problems when applied to a good surface. If you can get it wet, warm water aids in the removal. A heat gun (used cautiously) will help loose up the material.

NOTE: Paint needs to be dry, if not it could tear on the edges.

Dried is not cured. Rattlecans take a long time to cure, because they have so much solvent in them. Just the nature of the beast.

All great points, another one is that i should have fully read the instructions...

"Freshly lacquered or painted surfaces should be allowed to stand for at least three weeks after complete curing"

Looks like I need to be more patient, and I'll try using warm water to help release as well.

Thanks for all the help.