wesdog

Vinyl to Vinyl

I have done a few 2 layer vinyl decals and every once in a while I have a problem when I peel application tape I get bubbles behind the 2 layers. What is best way to not get this? Also can you use the soap/water technique like when applying to windows or cars etc?

I use the wet method on most large or complex applications one thing I do is spray the app tape and let it set for a minute or two then spray again and rub into the tape let it set again then peel the tape works for me . I use rapid tac app fluid . your vinyl will play a part also the better vinyl are much easier to weed and install .

Dan

If using paper tape wet it own before removing and it won't pull as hard on the vinyl. Some of the bubbles come from the app tape trying to lift the vinyl when you remove it.

Might sound dumb but...What kind or brand of the clear tape do yall use when doing 2-3 color cuts and a-joining all the layers to 1 end result..I have had some that sign ware sent over 8 mts ago but it is to dam hard to pull and it doesnt lay my 2nd and 3rd laers very well I have had to start a peel and easssssse it off so clearfully, had a couple of floops, tried wet but that didnt work....I make my reg palcements  as would any other design but this junk is not easy to work with. and I would like to oder some fresh "tape" asap.

Are you applying one layer at a time to the substrate or stacking them and then applying them? I have better success if I apply one layer at a time.

You couldn't make me use clear tape. I normally layer on substrate and if necessary do it wet but always with r-tape. Plastic never dries.

• Like 2

see, I tried that plastic translucent and it is just to dam sticky but then again...I watched that video more times than I have hair on my head and swear he is using a clear tak tape and so on...I cut, I weed, I cut 2nd impression, I weed it, line up my reg marks and attemp to plant on top or outter rim of 1st layer and there is where fun begins..Is there a different mpeg that I have missed?

Never had a problem with the paper tape as long as the color are contrasting enough to be seen through the tape. Just apply wet, align, squeegee, wet the top of the paper tape and wait 30 seconds or so. the Then peel tape back on itself so it's not trying to lift the vinyl.

I started using a + sign for my registration marks. I make it about 1/2" to 3/4" in size. Then I can cut a square out of the center so I can see through to line them up.

I use the wet method on most large or complex applications one thing I do is spray the app tape and let it set for a minute or two then spray again and rub into the tape let it set again then peel the tape works for me . I use rapid tac app fluid . your vinyl will play a part also the better vinyl are much easier to weed and install .

Dan

So are you saying when I have 2 colors, lets say a 4" red number and a 3" white number for a 1/2 reveal around the bottom red number, that I can weed both colors and apply the application tape to the top layer then wet it and apply to bottom layer of vinyl still on the backing. Then apply lining up reg marks and squeegy it, wait a bit and peel off backer and then apply wet to medium(car window or boat etc) then squeegy out, let dry then peel application tape and i should have less bubbles?

Are you applying one layer at a time to the substrate or stacking them and then applying them? I have better success if I apply one layer at a time.

I stacked the one big one I did then applied to the boat.

Never had a problem with the paper tape as long as the color are contrasting enough to be seen through the tape. Just apply wet, align, squeegee, wet the top of the paper tape and wait 30 seconds or so. the Then peel tape back on itself so it's not trying to lift the vinyl.

Are you saying once I have layers stacked and application tape on those stacked layers that I apply decal then wet the outside of the tape before peeling application tape?

Are you saying once I have layers stacked and application tape on those stacked layers that I apply decal then wet the outside of the tape before peeling application tape?

yes