randyb

help getting a Serial cable

I have 3 serial cables but they are all straight pass through cables.

I need a cross through NULL cable.

When these cables are advertised they advertise them as DB( NULL cables)

Please help me get the correct cable....

I also saw where there a wiring diagram that showed they pin location of each pin but it only showed pins 1-7 ?

I bought both of mine from Radio Shack . I have 2 Copams using them .

Go to Radio Shack and tell them what you want and make them hand it to you.... Then if it's wrong you can take it back, after all, they should know what they are selling you right?  

• Like 1

Go to Radio Shack and tell them what you want and make them hand it to you.... Then if it's wrong you can take it back, after all, they should know what they are selling you right?  

LOL in the old days radio shack was a great place to get stuff - now it is a glorified cell phone store.  managed a couple of RS back in the 80's.  now if it is more than a simple cable or fuse they look confused  :'(

to the nekid eye the cable will look the same.... the secret is in the connectors themselves..... the wires matchup to different holes....the only way to truely test it is to A) plug it in to your plotter and see if it works or B) take a volt meter and physically check for continuity across the the pin holes.  

You might try a local computer repair shop... those guys are usually pretty smart and usually have tons of extra cables around they are willing to sell you one cheap.  Try an office supply store, again, ask someone for help, or even Best Buy.... again, ask for help.

Or, as I mentioned above, get a null modem cable adapter to plug on the end of your existing cable.  See picture, it even says null on it!

post-27312-0-72290400-1363892419_thumb.j

I had the same issue as you sort of.  I had to buy a serial cable because one was not supplied with my cutter although the packing list said it was.  A quick fix was to just buy one for a few bucks.  It didn't work so I thought maybe the cable was bad so I bought another one still no luck.  Called customer support and after 30 minutes with them they told me I needed a null modem cable.  Rather than jacking with yet another cable I just bought the adapter (like 2 bucks on the big auction site) and now it all works like a charm.

Don' forget you will need a male/female plug.  Don't just buy a male/male or female/female.

newegg is always great to deal with - I think you will be fine with the one from them

I did not get a serial cable with my cutter either but was not worried about because i just figured USB was the way to go.

Seems like ALOT of issues  could be eliminated if they made sure to include a serial cable and make sure to emphasize a NULL serial cable.

Does it matter if i plug the NULL adapter into the machine or into the keyspan?