motoxchic

Quick way to create a 2 color gradient effect?

I am trying to create a gradient effect using 2 colors of vinyl, so a light gray at the top and darker gray at the bottom of this image (meet in the middle vertically).  I am sure there is a quick way to do this, but I must not be searching correctly online to find it.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/ebaypics00/raw_zps8da1a65a.jpg

With 2 colors of vinyl , the transition would be abrupt . You can gradient it as much as you want to . Just have to use many more colors/shades or spray paint/air brush . I have not done it , but seen a buddy that does that with paint alot . WAY more trouble than it is worth IMO .

edit ; After looking at the SCP pic you linked . Seems all you would have to do is make a decal & add a cut line at the middle . Make another decal of the other color & do the same . use the top from 1 & the bottom from the other . Probably an easier way , but that is what I would do if I wanted to make what you describe .

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the best way but I had to do for a windshield banner. Direction are for Corel.

1: make a copy of image you want to split.

2: Make a rectangle and lay it over the top half of the letters where you want to split them

3: Select words and rectangle. Go to arrange/shaping/ back minus front

4: Use the copy that you made in the beginning and lay the rectangle over the bottom half of you letters and repeat step 3.

If you can post file I can send back showing what I'm talking about.

Jay

I don't know if this is the best way but I had to do for a windshield banner. Direction are for Corel.

1: make a copy of image you want to split.

2: Make a rectangle and lay it over the top half of the letters where you want to split them

3: Select words and rectangle. Go to arrange/shaping/ back minus front

4: Use the copy that you made in the beginning and lay the rectangle over the bottom half of you letters and repeat step 3.

If you can post file I can send back showing what I'm talking about.

Jay

Ah, yes, I see what you are saying..that will totally work.  I had a brain fade and could not think of how to do it, lol.  Thank you!!

If you have FlexiSign Pro or LXI Pro you can use the stripe effect set to varying stripes and gaps to create a more realistic gradient look using two colors of vinyl.

post-5081-0-77813200-1362617432_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That is a cool effect too!  I saw a tutorial for Illustrator while searching.  I bookmarked it ;)  Here is what I came up with for now (making printed work into vinyl)...still a work in progress.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p540/ebaypics00/raw2_zpsa31e369e.jpg

(Anyone know why I can post an IMG link anymore? I get an error that I cant use that in this community)

I would node edit the points down on the contours of the "W". But that's just me.

Jay

I would node edit the points down on the contours of the "W". But that's just me.

Jay

Yeah, might make it easier to read, thanks!  I think I am going to have my customer get it printed...he wants my machine to do amazing things, lol. 

• Like 1

gradients and cutters really don't mix . . . .

nope.  was hoping to get the effect of it, but they want it "darker on the bottom", then it looses what little it had. 

you can use some Krylon fusion paint to fade some vinyl for a gradient effect

OP, email me your ai file along with the size, qty, and color ranges you want and I'll print and contour cut them for you.

jeff@decaloriented.com