CodyMcAllister

Lots of questions to ask and loads of help needed...

If you want to learn illustrator, there is no reason to learn inkscape. Illustrator will do some things better then inkscape but your going to pay for it, and pay a lot. Inkscape is freeware, open to anyone to use. I love it, Its extremely powerful, but it does have a few bugs. Nothing major. The learning curve is steep for illustrator, just like with any adobe product. 

What are you going to use as your cutting software? 

Most of the cutters will run on anything. I had an old Intel P4 with 1GB of ram I used for a long time. I think a 286Ghz would work.

I've been using Inkscape for an hour or so today and it seems pretty good. I may just stick with it for now. Is there any way to "weld" a layered object all into one single picture? Lets say a logo with words, then a elliptical and a star under that, some transparency and all. How would I "weld" it all together in order to widen or lengthen it all as one?

You may either GROUP all the objects (Object menu), or perhaps what you wish to do is COMBINE them (Path menu)?

Really considering the Graphtec now as it was mentioned and recomended by a few people earlier. How bad would the tracking be on the Copam? Does anyone know?

Regarding tracking --  I have used both the MH budget machine and the SC 34", and had no problems with tracking vinyl out to 12' - 15' 

The secret is to unroll the vinyl first and check the alignment with the "Origin" manually (back & forth).

Just remember with long lengths of vinyl, the material will end up on the floor unless you have a media catch-basket.

Anyway, I haven't encountered jobs that cut longer than 15' at one swoop.

For your racecars, that's probably long enough, right?

15' should be plenty! Thanks. Will the Copam cut regestration marks or is that an option in the sign programs?

Just for your information, I had to build my own catch-basket.

It was well worth doing.

Regarding registration marks (for multi-color layering alignment) --  yes, that is a function of the sign program, whereby you insert the marks into your overall design, and then you cut them into each color so they're available in order to place one color onto the other perfectly lined up.

Check out YouTube for tutorials on registration marks and how to utilize them.

Yup, go with signblazer. Thats what I use to cut and inkscape to do my design. I hate signblazer for anything other then importing an eps file and pressing the cut button. But some people love it. Itll get you started.

on your earlier question on the computer - I run a separate dedicated cutting computer - not affected by viruses and doesn't need to be anything fancy - just a desktop with a serial port for any of the value cutters.  I think I ran my copam with serial though with no problem.   if you need to go serial add a serial port to a desktop if you don't have an older computer with one -better than usb to serial adapters by far