Sign in to follow this  
mwhatch

Application Tape

I want to order some more application tape. I mostly work with the Greenstar vinyl but would like to try the Oracal 631 and 651. Is there an application tape that would work with all of these. I am still kind of new. Seems I read somewhere that matte and glossy use different tape. I was looking at the the GreenStar Layflat Classic. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Morton

RTape AT60 (clear) for dry install.

RTape 4075 (white) for wet install.

All I will use.  Other products might be great, but I have had excellent results with these.

I have this exact question and am just about to place my first order.  Any other opinions?  I was thinking of ordering ORATAPE HT55 but I like the idea of clear tape for layering.  The price is close enough between the two to not be a factor so it comes down to performance.

I should add that I too plan on using Oracal 631 & 651.

Thanks.

I have a small roll of the AT60 and it works good with the Greenstar vinyl, but I have tried it on a couple of different glossy vinyls (not sure of the brand) and it won't hardly pull the vinyl off the backing.

that is why I wanted to know if there was a application tape that works on bot matte and glossy.

Thanks

pull the vinyl off the backing.?   Squeegee the decal good, and peel the backing away from the vinyl ,not lift the vinyl from the backing,  big difference, and it will work better.

Any other opinions?  As soon as I am comfortable with which application tape to use with Oracal 631 & 651 I'm placing my order!

631 has a special app tape it is on USCutter site . For all applications I use r tape 4075 it works good for wet ,and dry apps and as Sketter said peel the backing paper from the vinyl it makes a world of difference . On videos they will just take their hand smoth it down that will not work on small or intricate designs you must squeegee fairly good . IT WOULD PAY TO LISTEN TO ADVICE FROM MZ SKETTER SH IS ONE OF THE MOST INFORMATIVE AND HELPFUL MEMBER ON THE FORUM TAKING TIME TO RESEARCH ANSWERS FOR MEMBERS AND POST LINKS.

Dan

• Like 1

Believe me, I listen to all feedback from people who take the time to reply.  I just don't see anybody posting to mislead people.  As much as I respect the manufacturers specs I prefer real world experience from people doing the work. 

Looking at the spec sheets from Oracal they recommend HT55 for both 631 & 651 so I think I'll start there.  Will it be hard to do layered graphics since the app tape is not clear?  I'm assuming if I plan on buying 24" wide vinyl I would want to buy 30" wide app tape to make applying the tape easier?  I assume buying 24" app tape would add a layer of complexity to a newbie like myself?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Believe me, I listen to all feedback from people who take the time to reply.  I just don't see anybody posting to mislead people.  As much as I respect the manufacturers specs I prefer real world experience from people doing the work. 

Looking at the spec sheets from Oracal they recommend HT55 for both 631 & 651 so I think I'll start there.  Will it be hard to do layered graphics since the app tape is not clear?  I'm assuming if I plan on buying 24" wide vinyl I would want to buy 30" wide app tape to make applying the tape easier?  I assume buying 24" app tape would add a layer of complexity to a newbie like myself?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Skeeter knows her stuff!

I have an order in for some 631 never used it before, they said I should use some low tach app tape, Ill see how it works when it arrives. 

About the size of app tape. I have a 24" cutter and use some 24" vinyl, but dont own a single roll of 24" app tape. My biggest roll is 18" I think. I rarely do anything 24" in both directions. So I can just turn the vinyl to a size that fits my tape. The rare times I have something bigger then my tape, I just use my wide stuff and my thin stuff. Gets the job done. 

• Like 1

I have seen on numerous videos on YouTube some people use 6 inch tape and layer it. I don't know how good it works if someone wants to chime in.

Its not optimal but it works. Youll tend to get a line of bubbles where the tape is layered. If you have to layer app tape, youll want to do it where theres not vinyl or where there is as little vinyl as possible. 

The better thing to do is butt the two pieces of tape to each other so they dont over lap.