Sign in to follow this  
passion4signs

Newbie having trouble with layering vinyl

Looking for some help. I am attempting to layer one intermidiate vinyl color on the top of another to apply on a metal sign blank...i have used the following methods each producing many bubles between the layers.

I applied one layer on top of another layer using clear transfer tape prior to applying to the sign blank

I applied one layer on top of the other with clear transfer tape after appling the first layer to the sign blank and after letting it dry...I applied the second layer dry. the clear transfer tape is also difficult to remove without the vinyl wanting to peel back with it.

Any suggestions?

first thing that stands out is you said you let it dry - never do wet with clear app tape - paper tape for that 

here is a video that will help you also    

Good quality vinyl like oracal is a plus and good app tape like perfectear is also a plus
  • Like 1

Dakotagrafx thanks for sharing that video I'm new to this part of vinyl and couldn't figure how to do this. My search on outs e never gave me this video.

if you put the 2 registration marks on top - I like using diamonds like he did - you will not have a problem - if you dont have any clear app tape just cut the app tape shorter than the area of the registration marks and use some packaging tape at the top.  It really doesn't matter if you can see the part below it.  another trick, although not as good, is to layer your graphic by eye taped to an outside window - the light shining thru will let you see good enough to layer

Well Dakota you have taught me some interesting things. I too prefer the diamonds over the eye lining method. It's interesting how so many methods in one field can be used in others such as screen printing and vinyl.

I think I read it on here, but when I use reg. marks, like diamonds, I make them bigger then the ones used in the video, and I also cut them in half, usually top down, from corner to corner of the diamond. I do that to both colors, and then remove say, the left half on each diamond on one color and the right half on the other color. That way I can lift the vinyl off the backing if I dont get the alignment right on the initial drop. If you leave the whole diamond, and the top color sticks to the other vinyl, your not separating it. This way very little, if any touches.