motoxchic

Cuts great, but cant cut a circle?

Just got my new SC25" cutter up and running yesterday. As you can see, it works. I cut part of our backhoe logo out (sorry for the white) and it works fabulous, however, I am trying to cut out some 1.5" circles and it is totally off.

I am just getting used to this machine and vinyl cutting is new to me as well. Been a graphic designer for years. I am thinking it might have something to do with my settings. Is there a good reference for the speed and pressure for various cuts, blades, etc?

Cut a 1" square and see if it cuts true. If not, there should be X/Y compensation settings to adjust the scaling.

Cut a 1" square and see if it cuts true. If not, there should be X/Y compensation settings to adjust the scaling.

Thank you, I will try that. It cuts the test diamond good, but I will check on the sizing of the 1" square. My cutter did not ship with the rollers (they are coming), so the vinyl roll is on the floor, would that matter for circles and not the more technical stuff?

That shouldn't matter. How big is the circle in the picture? It from the other images, it looks like your offset setting could be causing it.

sure looks like the vinyl is slipping - are the pressure rollers tight? is there slop in the knurl rollers (not tight) - really not sure though why the other part cut right . . . .

The pressure rollers do not seem tight to me at all, but I am not sure what is correct. I know during a couple cuts yesterday, the vinyl wrinkled a little and I let up one end roller during the cut and it worked. Sorry, probably could have mentioned that earlier. :huh: But I am not sure why everything else seems to ok otherwise...

Guessing I need to start over with some setup steps and adjustments. It cut great out of the box, so while hopeful, I still didnt think turning it on and letting it cut would be all I would need to do! If you have a favorite setup/starter video or step by, that would save me some startup confusion, I would be most grateful ;)

It looks like the vinyl did not feed properly. Try cutting a 12" piece off your roll and then cut your small circle. Just my 2 cents.

Did you follow the Media Loading Guide?

http://support.uscut...l-loading-guide

Yes, we did that initially, but that pdf did not mention anything about the roller tightness or the knurl looseness as mentioned by dakotagrafx above...just the straightness. Is there any instruction on setting the rollers and knurls?

the knurles should be tight but a few have been known to not be tight from the factory (set screws) the pressure rollers should be snug enough against the knurls to not allow slippage - sometimes people loosen them up because of the tracks the knurls leave on the vinyl which is normal and go away when the vinyl is applied. which brings up another point on the circle the pressure roller was above a knurl when that was cut right and not between them?

Thank you for helping me track this down. So, now it is working! i have no idea why, except I put some other labels on the top where the arrows are (to show me which are the pressure/speed..I kept hitting the wrong ones). In doing this I probably changed a setting on there? Also, I double checked where the roller was on the right side, making sure it was not off the knurls. Previously, I was looking at the middle and left rollers consistently, but I think the right one was behind the blade and it may have been close! Which would account for the backhoe image cutting fine, since I lifted that roller in between cuts.

Only other thing I did differently was cut out a small section of vinyl (below) and run that through with an 8.5x11 sheet of circles. My vinyl holding rollers came today, so I am going to try again with a 24" roll in and make sure it still works ok. Will post again. Is there a chart of info for speed and pressure settings and types of vinyl, layout or machine behavior? Or is there a standard setting you start with and adjust from there?

HOLY SIGN JOB! They just found out there are 3 signs at their leased place, 2 are 2 sided. Nothing like jumping in with both feet, lol. So, I am going to post for some pricing advice in the other forum and a new post with the technical questions regarding the sign sizes, etc....

Thank you for the help on the circles, happy it is working so far!

Thank you for helping me track this down. So, now it is working! ... Also, I double checked where the roller was on the right side, making sure it was not off the (lower grit roller).

I've tried previously here to warn everyone about the manufacturing defect on the SC cutter ----

The set-screw is misplaced too far over, so the right-hand pressure roller can slide over beyond the end of the lower grit roller.

• Like 1