slice&dice

Obtaining local permits for putting up signs

I didn't say it made it right. I said out of the many I have shipped (including Iowa) I have never had anyone mention a permit. Not once. Sounds like a fee-grab to me. We don't do that here in Tennessee.

Makes you glade you live in a state that is not all about total control and a fee for every thing we have of course license requirements state wide but permit and city / town license may or may not be required . But no where in our state do you have to apply for and produce a permit for a customer that bought a banner or sign .

• Like 1

( I can't resist ...:) ) What permits should the seller pull when shipping decals , banners or signs out of state ?

• Like 1

To answer your question Rodger they would have to contact a licensed installer to install. Pretty simple really. Just like in most locations commercial buildings have different code. As a owner here of a commercial building I cannot alter, modify or add any plumbing, electrical, or structural modifications to my building cause I am not licensed to do so. Just cause I can buy a outlet at the hardware store does not mean I can install it. I need to hire a licensed contractor to do such things, Same with signs. Not every body who can pick up a hammer can just go around installing them everywhere.

You all need to look further than your own area and cannot be so ignorant to think just cause there is no law where you are should just mean the rest of the world is like that. Yes a lot of people do things on their own in terms of installs. That still does not make it legal or make it the correct way to do things.

If something were to happen, sign fall on someone, car, damage any property, or say the sink fixture leaked and flooded my shop, or the outlet I put in caught fire, my insurance would not cover that. I would be held liable

Laws, Sign codes and ordinances are put in place to protect property owners, sign shops and end users. Also to keep things in par with how the city developers want the final look and feel of the city to be so things do not get out of hand.

I'm SO glad I live in Tennessee. I can wire my own house, do my own plumbing...and it's all perfectly legal...as long as it's ME and I own the house. We believe in property rights down here.

• Like 1

"You all need to look further than your own area and cannot be so ignorant to think just cause there is no law where you are should just mean the rest of the world is like that"

It works both ways.

I've shipped to all 50 states,Puerto Rico, and 6 foreign countries. As I said (which you ignore) I have yet to have anyone ask about a permit.

• Like 1

To answer your question Rodger they would have to contact a licensed installer to install. Pretty simple really. Just like in most locations commercial buildings have different code. As a owner here of a commercial building I cannot alter, modify or add any plumbing, electrical, or structural modifications to my building cause I am not licensed to do so. Just cause I can buy a outlet at the hardware store does not mean I can install it. I need to hire a licensed contractor to do such things, Same with signs. Not every body who can pick up a hammer can just go around installing them everywhere.

You all need to look further than your own area and cannot be so ignorant to think just cause there is no law where you are should just mean the rest of the world is like that. Yes a lot of people do things on their own in terms of installs. That still does not make it legal or make it the correct way to do things.

WAY too many assumptions SA ( or WAY too much Captain Morgan or both :) ) . Original post was about what that poster needed to do , not what a customer in any other area needed to do to be legal ( i wonder what is legal in the Amazon .... ) . There are many seperate issues being discussed & they don't relate to each other as far as liablity or who is doing things legally or not . Geez , calling us ignorant just plains makes me ... crack up :lol: . I belive in being my brothers keeper , but in positive ways , not in a controlling way such as laws , " Big Brother " type stuff . I can tell you take all of this MUCH more serious than the rest of us . An intelligent mind-set wold be to find out what is being discussed , where & what actually applies to that situation .. assuming is as ignorant as any of the rest of what you state is ignorant IMO . I am sure we would have a constant discussion along with alot of laughter if we hung out :) .

• Like 1

Still going well I'm done got to get up early tomorrow and pick up a permit for the guy that I just finished building cabinets for in my shop he is installing himself but I must get the permit for him .

• Like 1

Still going well I'm done got to get up early tomorrow and pick up a permit for the guy that I just finished building cabinets for in my shop he is installing himself but I must get the permit for him .

Goodnight and sleep well.

I'm SO glad I live in Tennessee. I can wire my own house, do my own plumbing...and it's all perfectly legal...as long as it's ME and I own the house. We believe in property rights down here.

It is my understanding you can do that anywhere cause it is residential. Commercial not so much. I can see both you and madscott can not tell the difference between the words commercial and residential.

I also have shipped everywhere and have never been asked on any mail order about a permit. I would think that would be a silly question. I do not ignore your comments but mail order is a bit differant than a local sale.

And rodger he was asking about local sales and has no knowledge of the local sign code in his area. He has been doing installs per previous posts. That is what I keep referring to. Also to help him as a business in the circumstance that he should be pulling permits, getting licensed for the installs and so fourth. Protecting him, upping his sales to include them both in the future and making sure things are done correctly for his location.

And I have not made any assumptions other that that he need to check his local area ordinances. I did say the way the laws are here in my location, but did not tell him what was in his.

And yes you are ignorant by not instructing him to check his local laws and just assuming cause you do not need any license, permits, or anything that it is alright for everyone else.

Actually SA , you are the ignorant 1 in this situation . I did not tell him that because it was already mentioned . You said you pull permits on everything going out your door . I am sure you meant everything going out the door YOU were installing :huh: & you are ignorant in that you assume work on commercial bldgs require permits everywhere . I know for a fact in Morgan County , Tn & Lewis Count WV .. I can do anything for myself , residential or commercial !!! In fact , there is no residential or commercial status in Lewis county because there is NO zoning let alone classifications outside of city limits ! Your assumption/ignorance is in not going by what is in the original post , you added way too much to it . Adding what you did , you may have proved yourself right , too bad it isn't what was asked .............. :lol: :laugh:

Nite Dan , Nite Gracie

I am not proving any thing or trying to. I keep stating that just cause in your area you can do whatever you want does not mean that everyone else can. What part of that do you not understand?

Yes, I know the difference between commercial and residential, I have owned both. And I'm sure MabScott does too.

I did not say it was, I said not so much, learn to read

I am not proving any thing or trying to. I keep stating that just cause in your area you can do whatever you want does not mean that everyone else can. What part of that do you not understand?

This " progressed " because you said " you pull permits on EVERYTHING going out your door " + or - . Dan asked why you would pull a permit on something you were not installing . You gave the advice on checking on his specific areas laws , so I figured no need to say the same thing ... how is that ignorant ?

Some day when I have nothing to do I am going thru all the post made by SA and see if I can find a post that is not negative or talking about how ignorant people are. Most post on the forum is from people starting out and not running large sign shops asking for advice and not a lecture about how they are doing every thing wrong . I am not a sign business by any means but over the last 20 or so years of sign installing and erections I am sure I have erected and installed over a thousand signs of some type . I have been in the construction business of some type for 40 plus years and i do belive I know the difference between residential and commerical as I have built both from a room addition to a 10 story high rise and have pulled literally thousands of permits for construction and sign installations so I believe I have a little understanding of the permit / license process and the permit for every thing out the door is absurd .

• Like 2

THAT , would be stepping over the " line " :lol: . It has been awhile since any thread has blown up . Hilarious

Mine is a pit bull might not take insults well

I am sure John , Dan & I don't mind what we get called .... as long as it ain't late for supper !!!

Down here, it's God, Country, Mother,and Dog....not necessarily in that order.

I am sure John , Dan & I don't mind what we get called .... as long as it ain't late for supper !!!

Hell Rodger I have been called about everything I've been married going on 44 years lol

• Like 1